All BD breeders should read this... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #21
CarolinaClassicDragons
I agree with several of the posts here but I also disagree with some (isn't this fun!? ) We can only get better by sharing information and staying open minded. Jacques makes some great points here. I have recently been seeing way too many wanna-be vets popping up that have never even sat in on a college level microbiology course better yet the grueling years of veterinary school. And how in the world is anyone able to sell prescription strength drugs in this country. Well, legally they are not. Most of what you are seeing is diluted down strengths of generics. Not the best path to take either if you have a truly sick animal.

Couple of points for consideration... I would highly recommend using Baycox (toltrazuril) over Albon any day of the week. Albon is old school and not nearly as effective as Baycox. Albon is quite harsh on a beardie.

Way too many breeders out there giving their dragons annual dosages of Panacur and Albon as a preventative maintenance program. Are you kidding me?! I got into an argument with a breeder over this a couple of years ago. Jacques is right, you are potentially setting us all up for a real problem.

I have found Baytril to be very effective for treating bacterial infections. Unfortunately, by the time a dragon starts to show signs of decline from a bacterial infection, you do not have the time to wait around on cultures. You should be consulting with a vet. on any illness and making a calculated, educated decision on what treatment is best suited for the situation.

Doing your own fecals is fine if you know what you are doing. You should find someone that really knows what they are doing and get trained on what to look for. Most importantly, learn when it is important to react to what you are seeing under the scope.