Carpets? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
rcpreis3
Carpets?

I was at a local pet shop a few weeks ago and I saw 2 carpets that someone dropped of because they didnt want them anymore. The one looked like a jungle, but the other I think he told me was a ira jaya(sp?). It was beautiful copper/gold/red coloration and I really wanted to impulse buy but I've never kept carpets and dont like to get new species without doing a lil research. Its been bothering me for weeks now and Im thinking about getting into carpets here next year.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some husbandry tips, and cage requirements. Also what morphs of carpet are there, and whats the difference between jungles and brendlis and costals so on andso forth.

Any and all info is helpful and appreciated. Pics are encouraged if u can get them!

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Payara
They are amazing snakes, here are some general care sheets on a site dedicated to morelia pythons:

Bredls

Jungle

Will Leary Carpet Caresheet

There are some breeders on FAUNA who breed them like you might wanna get a hold of them when you look to purchase your new snake

Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
I agree, Carpets are great pythons, I have a Coastal and I think she's awesome. Here's another caresheet if you're interested:

http://www.acreptiles.com/carpet_python_care.htm

Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Payara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
I was at a local pet shop a few weeks ago and I saw 2 carpets that someone dropped of because they didnt want them anymore. The one looked like a jungle, but the other I think he told me was a ira jaya(sp?). It was beautiful copper/gold/red coloration and I really wanted to impulse buy but I've never kept carpets and dont like to get new species without doing a lil research. Its been bothering me for weeks now and Im thinking about getting into carpets here next year.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some husbandry tips, and cage requirements. Also what morphs of carpet are there, and whats the difference between jungles and brendlis and costals so on andso forth.

Any and all info is helpful and appreciated. Pics are encouraged if u can get them!

Thanks everyone!
Most people recommend a 48"x24"x24" for a adult carpet.That's ample room for them. My yearling is in a 20 gallon tank right now and I just bought a cage for my Bredl it measures 48"x30"x20". They are pretty straight forward animals in regards to care and husbandry, very aggressive feeding response will eat anything.

Carpet pythons are in the Morelia spilota and jungles, bredls, etc. are considered sub species. If you want more info I'd recommend this site: http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/

There are several morphs out there, check out this link for a general guide to different carpet morphs: http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/

And here's my lil guy:

Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Payara
Some great breeders: http://www.pythoncentral.com/ & http://www.inlandreptile.com/

I bought mine from Blake at Python Central

Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
AK907
Like others have said, carpets are easy to care for. Pretty straight forward, no real special requirements. I've got two. An irian jaya and a coastal. Both are nippy inside of thier cages, but get them out and they are puppy dog tame. They are definitely one of my favorite species to keep. I will also second thier feeding response. Mine will eat anything and everything put in front of them. Mouse, rat, asf, hands. History! Cages really depend on the subspecies. Some don't get very big (Irian Jaya) and some can become massive (Coastal). For most I'd go with at least a 4'x2'x2' for an adult. Height won't be as important to an adult as they are far more terrestrial than younger ones, but will still make use of any branches or perches you have for them.

Just my $0.02.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
rcpreis3
wow it didnt even update me about this thread til Ben posted. sorry forthe late response everyone, i just thought noone cared about me. j/k lol. Ill get rite on checking out those sites, and thx to everyone thats posted!

And thats an awesome looking snake Koshy!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
RachelSS
It's been my experience that babies are substantially more defensive than my red tails as babies but quickly grow out of it once they get to around a year old. I have Irian Jayas, Jungles, and Coastals.

Apart from the caresheets, if you get them you will notice they are VERY sensitive about their faces. Mine will move around me and if they get CLOSE to bumping their nose on me, they jerk back really fast. Don't overreact! They're just very quick and "touchy". They love to move around and climb on everything.

Good luck! Post up pictures if you get them!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
rcpreis3
Thx! Will do! Hell ur in Gainesville I might get one from u!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Thx! Will do! Hell ur in Gainesville I might get one from u!
Pairing up my adults this weekend so if you're in the market I can get your contact info and let you know when I get eggs!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!