Show off your cages! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #31
YJHB
OK, I just discovered this thread, and the preceding cage set ups are absolutely AWESOME, every one! I'm embarrassed to add my piddly little set ups here, but they're for sale so I really should!
The plants need work. I spent well over $200 trying to get the right Ficuses, so yes I know they're short, but it was the best I could do in my area.
Have fun looking at my short, expensive Ficuses... :P I killed the rest of 'em...

Old 04-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #32
Rebel Dragons
I think they're cool looking!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #33
dragonflyreptiles
Thanks for posting, those are some nice set ups Adam and Yvonne, yours look good too!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #34
YJHB
aaww, thanks Would look a little better if I had some decent plants in there.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #35
JERM
Just to let everyone know...

Just to let everone know, the glass enclosure that i have previously posted (55 gallon fish tank terrarium) with werneri in it is a temporary enclosure for them until I finished building their screen one. Glass is not normally a good type of enclosure for most chameleon species because it restricts air flow. Granted you can set up a nicer terrarium in a tank, the well being of the chameleon should come first. An option that I use sometimes is adding a screen enclosure on top of the glass tank. This works well in most cases because it also raises the humidity level. I just had to point that out since I didn't explain it with the photo.
By the way, everyone's cages look great! It looks like everyone really cares about their chams.

Jerm

Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #36
JERM
Ficuses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
aaww, thanks Would look a little better if I had some decent plants in there.
YJHB,
I really like your ficuses. Did you buy them as a bonsai? They are awfully close to the ficus bonsais that I use for my babies. If so they might be worth more than you think. I will try to post a picture of bonsai to show you what I mean.

Jerm

Old 04-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #37
Chameleon Company
Yvonne,
The "tinker toys", if they even call them that nowadays, are a great idea. Do they come in an unfinished natural tone? Could you give me the brand name, and where they are commonly purchased? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #38
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM
YJHB,
I really like your ficuses. Did you buy them as a bonsai? They are awfully close to the ficus bonsais that I use for my babies. If so they might be worth more than you think. I will try to post a picture of bonsai to show you what I mean.

Jerm
Actually, they are of a Ficus species that are commonly used as bonsai... Wandia or Wanda, I think. Yes, the one on the left side is a starter Bonsai tree; every darn Ficus I looked at either was way too big, or way too small except for these Bonsai types. I slowly killed the rest of them before doing away with the standing water under the trees. The one on the far right is a 'Midnight' ficus variety; it does the best in the moist conditions.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #39
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamco
Yvonne,
The "tinker toys", if they even call them that nowadays, are a great idea. Do they come in an unfinished natural tone? Could you give me the brand name, and where they are commonly purchased? Thanks.
Thank you! Yes, they do still come in an unfinished wooden tone, but my thought on that is they probably would start with the black mildew right quick with all the misting. The brand name is "Tinker Toys" (it really is; I don't know who makes 'em, but they've been around since I was a kid *cough* I'm a dinosaur *cough*). I got mine at "Toys 'R Us", one large set did all three of my cages. It took a lot of thought to use every single piece; I had more fun putting my mind on 'coast' while constructing these than I had in a long time, lol. The new type of sets are plastic like mine. I chose plastic because they won't warp with all the moisture and they won't grow mildew. You do have to sand them for grip before putting them together; I sanded the horizontal pieces lengthwise and the vertical or near vertical pieces are sanded round and round the shaft so they always have good grip even though its plastic. The colors do grow on you!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #40
Chameleon Company
Thanks Yvonne. When I was a kid (3 coughs) they were all wood, even the colored ones, and when you chewed on them, your mouth changed color. Plastic is certainly more functional. Good luck with all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!