Info US GLOBAL EXOTICS SPCA RAID - Page 59 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #581
BPelizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Foose View Post
Thank you very much. We try real hard to make the store the best we can. Now, on a side note. Michelle, being that you are an experienced businesswoman, you know for a fact that there is someplace that sucks in EVERY business sector. Whether it's auto dealerships, food companies, pet stores, animal wholesalers or rug shampooers. I've been in this business all my life, in zoos, wholesale, breeder, retail, you name it. And I can honestly say that I know a lot of people in this field, mom and pop store owners, field researchers, wholesales, commercial breeders, field collectors of animals and tons of hobbiests. I have found this diverse group to be honest, hard working folks who all have the same thing in common, the love of animals and the love of doing what they do for a living. Yes, there are assholes in our trade. Yes, there are some who should be selling used cars instead of animals. There always have been, and always will. But that's a very, very small percentage, much less I think then in most other fields. I'm proud of what I do, and I'm proud of the people I work with, breeder, wholesaler, importers. They all care. If they don't, I won't do business with them (and you know who you are, 'cause I've told you so). You won't find a better group to be in the company of. I'm happy to say that most of the people I deal with are friends who I have a great deal of respect for. I'm happy with the company I keep, and the people I do business with. One bad example does not represent the entire industry. Well, except for banks, but I regress
Strictly - I was talking about his store.....

I agree not all are bad apples...totally. In fact I have met AMAZING ppl in this industry...and 1 or 2 I will never have a relationship with.

I have also walked away...thought about things and have this to say. First of all....I don't know anything about this industry. Who am I other than someone looking in. I have 5 snakes, 2 dogs and a beardie. Im a well taken care of stay at home mom who use to have a career and by choice doesn't now. The most I have done is a reptile show with 40 animals and 400 kids...trying to teach them about reptiles. However with that being said.....I do know what it feels like to look in and see the reports. I have enough sense to know the snakes in racks are happy...and the dead animals in the freezer are not a person being mean, and mice will eat each other sometimes. But instead of five hundred and something posts as to if they are guilty or not guilty ....we should be banning together and coming up with a solution to this situation in the future. Because continuing on...and saying...that is how they have to do it to be profitable....is like me putting a hamburger on a plate in front of my dog and hoping he doesn't eat it. (mind you...he is NOT well trained). And I am talking about us being the hamburger and PETA being the dog.

Us just sitting around is like Chlorox Bleach Company saying...well ya know....the toxins are going into the ground and killing ppl....but nothing we can do about it. There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many business savvy ppl, well educated, well experienced individuals that we should come up with a way to regulate that this doesn't happen again. Now....I am not talking about big brother....I am not for bigger government. I am talking within our own walls. Put a think tank together...use some of the big guys, some medium breeders, some wholesale, some little and some non existents. Let us all figure this out ....becasue if it continues on its merry way....we can all cry...but but...and it will do us no good....big brother will do it for us.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #582
StrictlyExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
Strictly - I was talking about his store.....

I agree not all are bad apples...totally. In fact I have met AMAZING ppl in this industry...and 1 or 2 I will never have a relationship with.

I have also walked away...thought about things and have this to say. First of all....I don't know anything about this industry. Who am I other than someone looking in. I have 5 snakes, 2 dogs and a beardie. Im a well taken care of stay at home mom who use to have a career and by choice doesn't now. The most I have done is a reptile show with 40 animals and 400 kids...trying to teach them about reptiles. However with that being said.....I do know what it feels like to look in and see the reports. I have enough sense to know the snakes in racks are happy...and the dead animals in the freezer are not a person being mean, and mice will eat each other sometimes. But instead of five hundred and something posts as to if they are guilty or not guilty ....we should be banning together and coming up with a solution to this situation in the future. Because continuing on...and saying...that is how they have to do it to be profitable....is like me putting a hamburger on a plate in front of my dog and hoping he doesn't eat it. (mind you...he is NOT well trained). And I am talking about us being the hamburger and PETA being the dog.

Us just sitting around is like Chlorox Bleach Company saying...well ya know....the toxins are going into the ground and killing ppl....but nothing we can do about it. There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many business savvy ppl, well educated, well experienced individuals that we should come up with a way to regulate that this doesn't happen again. Now....I am not talking about big brother....I am not for bigger government. I am talking within our own walls. Put a think tank together...use some of the big guys, some medium breeders, some wholesale, some little and some non existents. Let us all figure this out ....becasue if it continues on its merry way....we can all cry...but but...and it will do us no good....big brother will do it for us.
You are preaching to the choir there sister... LoL

Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #583
BPelizabeth
Ok...well cmon....lets do it. Im a sooooo not a choir girl....lol...hence I don't sit by and watch.

I don't know many ppl...but some....we can get a teleconference set up. Pick out ppl. I am sure the two of you alone know waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more ppl than me. I know a breeder that is highly respected not huge...but not tiny by any means. Im friend of a friend with the ear of a leading reptile vet in the southwest. Ken seems to know some wholesalers as well as breeders. Lets come up with something. It is not beyond me to pick up the phone and talk to ppl about this.....but again.....I am a total greenhorn. They probably would give me lip service unless this was totally serious and we had some real names on board.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #584
BPelizabeth
Cmon!! All it takes is 1 person to start. Look I have nothing compared to others invested in this. What 5 snakes....1 beardie....I maybe have 3 grand invested. You guys pay more than that for 1 snake. Why not get together.....start with teleconferences of some of the leaders and some that are not the leaders and come up with ideas. There is something that we all can do....we just need to figure it out. If we all just close the door and stick our head in the sand or continue to argue and make excuses....well then your worst nightmare will happen.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #585
Matt K
Quote:
.....I am a total greenhorn.....
YOU said it! As a greenhorn, you probably need to learn to listen to what you are saying, and then learn to think it through.

Most anyone you alluded to has to make a living somehow, and can't afford to do another full-time job for free / instead of what they are doing now.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #586
BPelizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
YOU said it! As a greenhorn, you probably need to learn to listen to what you are saying, and then learn to think it through.

Most anyone you alluded to has to make a living somehow, and can't afford to do another full-time job for free / instead of what they are doing now.
What is that suppose to mean????? Getting together on a teleconference and coming up with what to do to fix this before it is out of your hands is a full time job?? Really??? I am listening to what I am saying...and as I see it.....this industry is being attacked from all different angles. HSUS...Peta...S373....I think we all could go on and on. Therefore....those of you that make a living ....or make a little extra cash should want to do more than sit around and argue about it and hope for the best. Be proactive.....what is so scary about that!!

Listen I have no vested interest here....I could just blow it off. Hell....I only have 5 and could breed later on just for the fun of it. But funny thing...this is an industry that I am interested in...there are ways to fix it. I may not know it...but put a bunch of ppl together and I bet you could figure it out.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #587
Ken Foose
Michelle, actually what you are proposing is already being done. We had a huge meeting in Chicago last month, and teleconferenced with our reps in Washington DC. PIJAC and USARK and others are working for us now. No need to duplicate the work already started. I'd suggest you join PJAC now and get on board. It's open to the public now, just go to their site and sign up.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #588
BPelizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Foose View Post
Michelle, actually what you are proposing is already being done. We had a huge meeting in Chicago last month, and teleconferenced with our reps in Washington DC. PIJAC and USARK and others are working for us now. No need to duplicate the work already started. I'd suggest you join PJAC now and get on board. It's open to the public now, just go to their site and sign up.
I agree! Did not know that was being done. I will go on Pjac....

And I highly doubt it will be a full time job to follow and help out.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #589
StrictlyExotics
Quote:
What is that suppose to mean????? Getting together on a teleconference and coming up with what to do to fix this before it is out of your hands is a full time job?? Really??? I am listening to what I am saying...and as I see it.....this industry is being attacked from all different angles. HSUS...Peta...S373....I think we all could go on and on. Therefore....those of you that make a living ....or make a little extra cash should want to do more than sit around and argue about it and hope for the best. Be proactive.....what is so scary about that!!

Listen I have no vested interest here....I could just blow it off. Hell....I only have 5 and could breed later on just for the fun of it. But funny thing...this is an industry that I am interested in...there are ways to fix it. I may not know it...but put a bunch of ppl together and I bet you could figure it out.
Michelle, dont take Grumpa the wrong way. What hes saying is that we all are doing what we can, when we can. Trust me, he applauds your willingness to help in the matter. There are organizations devoting full time hours to this issue. Pijac, USARK, even some anti-HSUS and anti-Peta groups out there. Its really no longer a laymans issue as it has become a political fight. The most that I am capable of doing is funneling money to help them in their fight and educate the masses regarding our hobby.

Matt, please dont take my "grumpa" statement as a dig on you. I respect you and I hope that you realize this. Its just what I called my grandfather

Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #590
kmarsh
I am in agreement with Matt and Dean. It kinda made me wonder what you were talking about and all because if you had read allllll the pages there is alot of talk about US ARK and PIJAC and all the orgaizations that are working on this issue. Maybe you should also do some more research on this as well as joining these organizations. UNITED is what we need Not more little orgaizations to fight such a huge issue. We have some big guns we just need to load them with as much ammunition and money to carry on the fight for us all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!