Don't Waste Your Money!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
rsross1970
Don't Waste Your Money!!!

Do Not Buy These!
I learned my lesson with purchasing two dial style thermometer and hydrometer from Petco. The have the name on the dail it self of Petco. It is there own brand. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I was trying to get my temp and humidity up for my BRB ( BrazilianRainbow Boa ) that was comming in a few days. But everything I tryed wasn't working. I added more moss, I added more cypress mulch, I put a new cover over my top to help keep the levels up and I sprayed the hell out of it. But I didn't want to invite any mildew or create a swamp. and still nothing really was happening. I even purchased a fogger. Well I'm happy to say that I didn't need the fogger at all. See the dails are cheap and you get what you pay for. I finally purchased Fluker's digital Therm/Hydro. for the set up and finally the right readings were coming in. I well get to bring back my fogger for a refund . and my tank is finally ready for my new BRB. So if you are ever tempted to go cheap....DON'T DO IT!!!

-RSROSS1970

Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsross1970 View Post
Do Not Buy These!
I learned my lesson with purchasing two dial style thermometer and hydrometer from Petco. The have the name on the dail it self of Petco. It is there own brand. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I was trying to get my temp and humidity up for my BRB ( BrazilianRainbow Boa ) that was comming in a few days. But everything I tryed wasn't working. I added more moss, I added more cypress mulch, I put a new cover over my top to help keep the levels up and I sprayed the hell out of it. But I didn't want to invite any mildew or create a swamp. and still nothing really was happening. I even purchased a fogger. Well I'm happy to say that I didn't need the fogger at all. See the dails are cheap and you get what you pay for. I finally purchased Fluker's digital Therm/Hydro. for the set up and finally the right readings were coming in. I well get to bring back my fogger for a refund . and my tank is finally ready for my new BRB. So if you are ever tempted to go cheap....DON'T DO IT!!!
-RSROSS1970
Could you post a pic of the items in question? Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Sounds like he was using those cheap-o stick on thermometers. With a bit of research you could have saved yourself a lot of grief. No one recommends them.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Greatballzofire
http://www.partshelf.com/acu00891.html
What I use in all my snake cages and in my incubator. Works great. Usually can be had for about $13 at Lowe's Hardware.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Lopann
Meh the cheapo zoomed ones always report correctly, maybe just petco's are crap. I have a digital therm and a IR temp gun, and they are all within a few degrees of each other.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
ThomasHicks
I've only bought the petco sold Zoomed thermometers twice and IME, definitely something to stay away from, the first read 60 at room temp so I just assumed it was broken and returned it, the second read 100 sitting on my dresser. I've bought other cheap thermometers intended for enclosures before and ended up with similar results. Lesson learned here, now I only have one pro grade in the middle of the room. These may work for others, but I wouldn't buy again. I guess as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for."
TBH

Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Badcompany
Those cheap products and their makers make a killing on first time buyers and thats it..mass production and huge profits from around the world..Always will be newbies coming up....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!