Scarlet king snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2023, 11:40 PM   #1
WebSlave
Scarlet king snake

Today I was out back of the house, checking on two mouse traps I had put behind the door of the crawlspace underneath the house when I noticed something brightly colored moving around by my feet. Well, I'll be darned. It was a scarlet king snake. Haven't seen any of them around here for a long while. I picked it up and walked it around to the front door to show Connie. All the while this little demon was chewing the hell out of my hands. It was about a foot long, but it sure seemed to think it could kill me.

So after showing Connie my prize, I just let it go in front of the house where I had just been watering some of Connie's plants.

Sorry, but no pics. Just didn't feel like messing with it. Besides, from lack of responses I have gotten to my pics and videos in the past, most here don't give a damn about them anyway. So why bother?

Old 07-26-2023, 12:14 AM   #2
Insomniac101
Well I, for one, appreciate the stuff you post 🙂. You guys have all kinds of critters down there that we don't see up here. I'm glad Connie is home, and I hope you both are feeling better.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I like your photos, too.

"So after showing Connie my prize"

Does she actually appreciate cool snake finds, or just enjoy that you get excited about them (like my family does when I show them what I caught)?

Old 07-26-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I like your photos, too.

"So after showing Connie my prize"

Does she actually appreciate cool snake finds, or just enjoy that you get excited about them (like my family does when I show them what I caught)?
I think she likes seeing them. More than once she has come bursting into the house telling me to get my shoes on and follow her, to show me a snake she had found somewhere on the property.

She gets all excited when the baby lizards are hatching out. I don't think she is as crazy about the snakes, though, as many of them likely would eat "her" lizards. I was monitoring a Carolina wren nest a few years ago with a game camera, and when we were viewing the footage, we had to sit through a gray rat snake climbing into the nest and eating the babies. She got REALLY upset over that, and said she doesn't like snakes much any longer. So when we find gray rat snakes around here, I have to catch them and take them for a ride somewhere to release them. I would rather that they hang around and eat the rodents, but they got on Connie's sh!t list now.Don't mess around with her lizards or her birds. Actually she is afraid of birds, but has a few favorites she likes to watch. Crows and doves in the bird feeders are NOT on that list. But as for the rest, she tries hard to keep them all from going hungry.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
It is funny how we can like an animal until it messes with one we like more.

Do you get many raptors at your place? Once in a great while we'll get a sharp shinned hawk (that's what the last one was, anyway) taking out some poor bird in our yard -- I recall a woodpecker of some sort that was a bit hard to watch. Difficult to take sides on that one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!