Nikon D40 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
SPJ
Nikon D40

Is this camera any good?
My photos are sporadically good and since my current one just broke, I was thinking of getting this one.
Does anyone have one?
How is the quality of the photos?
Is it worth the money?

Also, ff anyone can recommend a cheaper one that's good instead, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
SPJ
Also considering the coolpix P80.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
xanaxez
i have heard kodak had some nice ones and as i looked on the black friday list they have a nice 10.0 or 10.2 mega pixel thats going to be marked down to 89 bucks i think at target. from what i know the higher the mega pixel the better quality pictures you get and although i have never tried kodak i am going to pick one up thursday night to see since i need a new one lol.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Id go right for the canon digital rebel.

The Nikon has some features that you might like more, and the canon has some that might like more. It depends on your tastes and, at that, they would have to be experienced tastes... lol BOTH are pretty much the same, until you start getting into real specific stuff... then they can be very different.

all in all. Personally, i like the rebel more. I have used the D40, and just dont like it as much. youve seen my photos floating around.

With all DSLRs its the lens that makes the difference in the end. When you go DSLR, you start investing in lenses, and THAT is where the real money sits.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxez View Post
i have heard kodak had some nice ones and as i looked on the black friday list they have a nice 10.0 or 10.2 mega pixel thats going to be marked down to 89 bucks i think at target. from what i know the higher the mega pixel the better quality pictures you get and although i have never tried kodak i am going to pick one up thursday night to see since i need a new one lol.
Mega pixels do not matter past 5.

That is just how LARGE the image can be printed at without looking like crap.

Do NOT buy a camera due to its " THIS many megapixels " You wont get a quality camera that way.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
I have a D40 and I love it. I've never been what I consider a great photographer, but the quality of my pictures and the ease of taking them went up several fold when I bought the D40.
It has way more features than I actually know how to use, but for what I do know how to do it does it extremely well.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Southern Wolf
I have been into photography for around 20+ years and when I went to buy a DSLR I looked at the Nikon D40... but there is one feature that I did not like... and thus desided to upgrade a bit further. The Nikon D40 does NOT have the autofocus motor in the camera body.... thefore you have to buy lenses with the autofocus motor in the lens....which makes each and EVERY lens you buy more expensive. At the time I got my camera... the choices of lenses were not that great.... Im sure they have improved somewhat by now though.

I ended up paying a bit more and bought the Nikon D80 since I do make some of my money off photography. I can use ANY lens that fits on a Nikon frame... and I dont have to worry about an autofoucs motor. Can you imagine how much my 500mm lens would weigh if it also had the autofocus motor in the lens.... its already heavy enough.

I upgraded from the Kodak P850.... if you like macro work.....AVOID KODAK. The macro on that camera was close to useless. Actually... it was useless.

If you dont want to spend a boat load of cash.... check out the Fuji S1000. It is a Point and Shoot, 10MP, 10x optical zoom... and has a killer macro setting... it will actually focus closer than my best Nikon lenses. It will set you back around $200

As someone else stated.... at 5mp you can blow up a photo to an 8x10 and it looks great....however with my 10mp.... I have blown all the way up to 16x20.... and I have a wolf shot where he is coming out of the tree line that Im gonna blow up to a 20x30. If ya want to go big... you need the megapixels.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Also considering the coolpix P80.
I have a Nikon Coolpix P1 Steve and I love it. Don Soderburg recommended it to me. The majority of the pics on his site were taken with one. It consistently takes very good pics on automatic

Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
As someone else stated.... at 5mp you can blow up a photo to an 8x10 and it looks great....however with my 10mp.... I have blown all the way up to 16x20.... and I have a wolf shot where he is coming out of the tree line that Im gonna blow up to a 20x30. If ya want to go big... you need the megapixels.
I agree with you Kevin, megapixels make a world of difference.

I just went from a D 50... 6 megapixels to a D 80... 10 megapixels the difference was amazing.

The D 40 is a solid entry levei SLR digital, the 18-55 lens that comes with it is a great close up lens.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
JesseWisecup
i had i d-50 an it was the best thing ever.
after the discontinued the model i ended up giving it away. well. i sold it fold 300. thats very cheap.

i wish i never did that

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!