Nikon D40 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Mokele
One additional point about megapixels - if you're at maximum zoom and cannot get physically closer to the subject (physical barriers or the risk of spooking the critter), with high megapixels you can just take the photos, crop out the extraneous scenery as needed, and still wind up with a decent pic of the subject.

Having high MP cameras has helped me out a lot in that regard, particularly with skittish wildlife. I can zoom in, take a few photos from a distance, and gradually move closer as I snap away, knowing that if/when I spook the animal, I'll still have decent photos with a bit of cropping.

Mokele

Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
Ed Clark
Yes, zoom and crop is a photographers best friend at certain times.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
NorthernRegius.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
One additional point about megapixels - if you're at maximum zoom and cannot get physically closer to the subject (physical barriers or the risk of spooking the critter), with high megapixels you can just take the photos, crop out the extraneous scenery as needed, and still wind up with a decent pic of the subject.

Having high MP cameras has helped me out a lot in that regard, particularly with skittish wildlife. I can zoom in, take a few photos from a distance, and gradually move closer as I snap away, knowing that if/when I spook the animal, I'll still have decent photos with a bit of cropping.

Mokele
This has been very helpful for me as well, at least until I get that 500mm lens... someday *sigh*
I'm doing my seasonal work right now... portraits with Santa. It's fun & I love it. The rest of the year I dink around taking photos of various subjects.
To the OP:
A good lens is what you want on that camera body- be it Nikon or Canon. For reptile photos, a good DSLR camera equipped with a 90mm or 50mm MACRO lens will give great shots of herps. IMHO, The Tamron SP 90mm Macro & the Canon compact-Macro EF 50mm both produce tack-sharp photos... perfect for showing off your reptiles.

If you are looking for an all around lens that will be great for any situation & still give quality Macro shots, the Tamron AF 24-135mm Macro is a wonderful lens... it hardly ever leaves my camera body, even though the first two lenses I mentioned do produce sharper photos.

I shoot Canon & have a 20D, my sister got the Nikon 80D over a year ago... we had the best time going & taking photos together. As a result we were able to compare the results in detail. I found the Nikon to be every bit as good as the Canon for most situations, I preferred the Canon for action shots though & I preferred the multi-point focus on Canon over the D80- but I'm used to it so that could be part of it.

The basics of focus, proper lighting & setting your white-balance will still give most folks great results no matter what camera is used.

Hope this helps- Deb

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRegius.com View Post
The Tamron SP 90mm Macro
That lens is awesome.
Back when I had a 35mm SLR, I used that lens.
Here is a shot with it.
This is in an aquarium (which is tough) and the print was scanned into a jpeg.
Can't go wrong with that lens IMO.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Southern Wolf
I love my Sigma 105mm Macro... it gives me a bit more working room so Im not right up in their face.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
sara_criss
Technical Details
6.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 14 x 19-inch prints
Kit includes 3x 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens
2.5-inch LCD with three display options; built-in flash and hot shoe
Fast startup with instant shutter response; shoot at up to 2.5 frames per second