post office "checking" postal money orders? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
PerfectPetPython
post office "checking" postal money orders?

I recently sent $3500 in the amount of 4 postal money orders (3 for $1000 each, 1 for $500 -- because $1000 is the limit for one money order) to a breeder with a good name. He said when he took them to the post office to authenticate them (he says he does this to all of his postal money orders before depositing them into his bank account) they took the money orders and mailed them to a place that is supposedly supposed to confirm that they are genuine postal money orders...

um, well... they are genuine... but it's been a week and he still hasen't heard anything back from the post office....

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I once deposited a large amount of postal money orders in my bank account, but the teller called some number to verify it was authentic first. I can't see why they couldn't have done this? I mean it's a POST OFFICE... shouldn't they be ABLE to just... call a number to see if it's genuine or not?!

I'm trying not to be impatient, but I am getting a little anxious to see my new babies. And... sigh. I know he's not a scam because it's a top name breeder... so I know he's probably telling the truth...

but I can't help but think... that maybe the post office person is trying to steal the money order??? I've never heard of ANYthing like this before.
I would have just paid with my debit card... but I had to cancel it a week before because their were unauthorized charges to it.

Anyway, my question is... is this how Post offices usually authenticate money orders? It is a very small town that it was sent to... if that makes any bit of difference?

Old 05-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Charisma,

I have received payments with postal money orders before. I just go to my bank (First Bank and Trust) endorse them right in front of them, and they give me the cash right then and there. Bank money orders are a different story, some banks will wait for a few days until they clear; postal money orders? Never heard of such a thing.

Regards.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Cat_72
I've never heard of such a thing either.

And eh, not to worry you, but have you read the thread about TSE? Just because it's a "big name breeder", it doesn't always mean they are 100% trustworthy. Have you tried calling the post office in his town to ask them? That would be the first thing I would do....speak with the postmaster there.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
PerfectPetPython
Quote:
Have you tried calling the post office in his town to ask them? That would be the first thing I would do....speak with the postmaster there.
Brilliant, I never even thought of that!
I will do that Monday first thing!

Old 05-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Cat_72
Let us know what you hear, I'm really curious as to what they say. It just does seem really odd.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Security features of U.S. Postal Money Orders

Quote:
PMOs are generally regarded as one of the more difficult financial documents to counterfeit
Watermarks. Telltale watermark when held up to the light should reveal images of Benjamin Franklin, repeated on the left side (top to bottom)
Dark security strip running alongside the watermark (top to bottom), just to the right. If held to the light, a microfiber strip will show tiny letters "USPS" along its length, facing backward and forward.
Rainbow of inked patterns and tones.
PMOs are printed on crisp, clean, textured paper stock.
Maximum value of $1000 for domestic (US) postal money orders, and $700 for International Postal Money Orders.
Denominations appear in two locations. If the denomination amounts are discolored, that indicates that they have been erased.
Ultra-Violet features include the above mentioned micro-fiber strip that glows red, and the PMO number on the reverse side and the bottom which will also appear red under UV light.
Postal Money Orders are NEVER sequentially numbered, which is common with counterfeit

Old 05-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Scott Ashton
Counter employees are supposed to check the money order against a "hot list" of stolen money orders which they have at the post office before cashing a USPS money order.

The "hot list" is also available online at: http://www.usps.com/stascmo/docs/uspo.txt

Also, the local post office should absolutely be able to validate that a particular money order is genuine. Despite numerous counterfeit schemes involving bogus USPS money orders not a single counterfeit has ever duplicated the security features unique to USPS money orders.

The only reason I can think that they would take the money orders is a seizure of an instrument that they felt was counterfeit at which point they would have forwarded them to the Postal Inspectors for follow-up.

I would not have surrendered the money orders without at least speaking to the post master of that branch and receiving a receipt.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Anyway, my question is... is this how Post offices usually authenticate money orders? It is a very small town that it was sent to... if that makes any bit of difference?
Charisma,

So you know we do live in a town with 20,000 people 10,000 of which are university students who leave in the summer. Now that I would consider small! Still we cash money orders right on the spot, even those for $1,000.

Regards.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
PerfectPetPython
Quote:
The only reason I can think that they would take the money orders is a seizure of an instrument that they felt was counterfeit at which point they would have forwarded them to the Postal Inspectors for follow-up.
They told the breeder that they looked real, but they wanted to send them to the postal inspectors to make sure. They didn't tell him a day when it would be back. We were guessing a few days... but it's been a lot longer then that.

My question was is if the postal workers could just call a number/verify if the money orders were authentic, or if they had to send them to the inspectors first... and how long would it take?

I wouldn't really be worrying about it... except I misplaced the stubs, so they ONLY way I would get a refund of my $3500 is if the post office employees contat the breeder back stating they are authentic so I can get my ball pythons.... or if the breeder got the money orders back and sent them back to me... or something. Sigh. I really need to start keeping records, I really didn't think this would happen.

I will call them Monday. I hope they have some information to give me.

Thank you everyone for your input and for caring... it helps out a lot.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:23 AM   #10
The BoidSmith
From what I understand they can just call and with the number they will know exactly if it's real and where was it sold.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!