So I was told that the USPS can inspect - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
old guy
Thumbs down So I was told that the USPS can inspect

any media mail package at random not by x-ray but by opening the package/mailer. I asked why and my postal master said " because of low shipping cost and non-media contents ". So i asked what was some of the " non-media " contents found and she said she heard of baby snakes and spiders shipped in VHS cases/sleeves among other things. I thought anything mailed was private between the mailer and reciever. I'm concerned because i'm a big eBayer and I mail old monster magazines, comics and VHS tapes and what if they open my mailers and tear covers/pages or damage the VHS tapes either by opening or resealing..........

What do you all think about this ?

Mike Chambers

Old 01-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Wilomn
I believe there was some noise about this a year or two out here. I live close to hollywood and gist of it from here was that the inspections were necessary to catch the guys pirating movies.

I guess you'll have to have pics of it being packed with some sort of proof of the day and time like a newpaper. That or stop using the media rate.

It's a bummer though.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
cthulhu77
I think it is the way it is going to have to be for a long time...people who have corrupted the system (just look at the laundry list here on the BOI) by illegally shipping animals in unmarked containers/boxes have ruined it for you...you should be yelling at them.

Yep, it is a bummer. I like to shop via ebay, but have no problems with any packages being opened...those days of yesteryear are looooonnng gone!
greg

Old 01-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
cthulhu77
Example from another thread:

“…i had to leave there and go down town to go a Ups we
have, so i walked in, ask if they did live shipping, and they said NO!
NO! NO!. Well, i just then decided to lie and tell them i was just
asking for a friend, and i proceeded to ship her out to you!!!! Man, i
hated i had to lie. What if something happens to her? Please let me
know when she gets there.I have $100 insurance on her. They think
she is Christmas Bulbs. Well anyway, since i missed there last pick up
ay 3:00 PM. I had to ship her to you before noon on Wednesday.”

Old 01-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
tim5580
well

If you dont like the USPS possibly opening your mail, don't ship with them.
Go with someone else.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
old guy
But how do you know that

USPS is the only one opening up packages ? This has nothing to do with the media mail post but I remember of having reptile shipments opened before by air cargo companies and having a shipment of electrical supplies coming in opened by UPS. For the price of $1.42 per media mail mailing, I don't know of anything cheaper or having to have to have weight scales at my home for pick-up by one of those carriers or driving 20 miles round trip to the nearest Fed X or UPS joint when most post offices are within a couple of miles of any US city even in some boondock places. Remember, i'm not shipping anything illelgal here !..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5580
If you dont like the USPS possibly opening your mail, don't ship with them.
Go with someone else.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
DAND
Since 9/11 alot of things have changed. Even if 9/11 isn't the reasoning behind it'll probably be blamed for it.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
Mike Greathouse
I ship books by Media Mail on almost a daily basis. The Postal Laws regarding Media Mail are well-defined and posted in plain sight at every Post office I have ever utilized. The price you pay for the cheapest possible method of shipment, is to be prepared to have your package inspected.

I don't know if any of my packages (over 300 last year) were ever opened and inspected, but I never had a single complaint from a customer. My company name: Reptilian Dreams is cleary displayed on the shipping label, so I would think if Postal Employees were looking for illegally shipped reptiles, nearly every package i ship would probably be opened. I don't think that has been the case.

Much like you, I am very concerned that my product arrives to my customer in a pristine condition. I simply go the extra step and package for any possibility. If my book mailers are opened, all the Postal employees will find inside is a book(s) wrapped securely in bubble wrap. At that point, they can see exactly what is being shipped and that it qualifies for the Media Mail rate.

Of course, if you still don't want your item possibly disturbed, you can always limit your shipping options to Priority Mail. The cost difference is only about $2.00. The typical package will ship Priority for $4.30 and if you generate the postage on-line, the Delivery Confirmation is free.

Not a bad deal.

Best of luck with your books and magazines.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #9
starwarsdad
This seems like a gross violation of privacy even in light of 9/11.

I am amazed at how people just think it is OK for things like this to take place.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:13 AM   #10
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdad
This seems like a gross violation of privacy even in light of 9/11.

I am amazed at how people just think it is OK for things like this to take place.
Tell me about it. There seems to be too many privacy violations hiding behind the 9/11 incident. Yet, there is not too many people who complain about it. Look at all the protests for being in Iraq compared to protesting privacy violations.