Blazin Reptiles--- Bad Guy Post - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
JeffMarjama
Blazin Reptiles--- Bad Guy Post

This is a post not about gecko or reptile transactions, but about services we provided for them. I run a web design service at http://www.leo-land.net/lpd And Blazin asked us to make them a totally new website. The original deal was that I would make them a website, then in return I would get a leopard gecko is return. I made them their website, but they did not like it. So I went back and start from scratch to make a completly new layout with a few custom features thrown in. I made the new website, which can be seen in my portfolio at LPD. He seemed to like it, but then he sold the leopard gecko that was promissed to me in exchange for the website. He had sent me a pic showing me what I was getting. He told me I'd need to wait till a later time for a leo. We dropped communication, and I have not heard from them since.

I was going through the portfolio and remember the site, and realized that fauna is not only about reptile transactions. I offer a professional web design service, and to be given the run around like that was very annoying. It took hours of time to build those sites, and then he sold the gecko. It was bad business. They need to be called on it. I still have a website for them yet to be claimed, and my payment yet to be sent. This was bad business.

I'm sure with all animal transactions they are very professional, maybe they should pay me the same respect. I'm still open to getting my tangerine leo in exchange for the website, but most likely it won't happen.

Thank you. And by the way, it was a while ago that this happened, maybe three months. Any opinions on this?

Old 12-22-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
brucestephenson
My opinion is that the deal sucks.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
brucestephenson
Only a punk wouldn't send a leopard gecko for a website.

Old 12-23-2003, 01:51 AM   #4
E2MacPets
I'm going to reserve my opinion until after we here from Chad

Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
Blazin
SLANDER!

First and foremost I have not even heard from you Jeff in over a month. Secondly the I told you that in order for this to go through I was going to need the site tweaked to my specifications. The site you said and I qoute, " He seemed to like it " is not up to my expectations by any means. Its a simple template design and told you I was looking for a more custom look. Finally being that the site was not completed to my specifications for example(colors,fonts,cutout pics,flames,etc,etc,etc) . Actually all this leads me to question your work ethics. Did you merely want to do a quick job and get paid for nothing? Although I know very little about website design I do know a thing or two about customer service. Something which so far you have shown gross neglect.
Another thing is you refer to me in the plural constantly throughout your letter. I am not some conglomerate of people running a large reptile breeding fascility its just me and my hobby. With that I would just like to say strong work ethics and honesty are invaluable when trying to make a business work. I just hope you or should I say you all at Leo-Land step up to the plate!

Old 12-30-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Blazin
Just one more thing!

I failed to mention that you solicited my business Jeff not the other way around as you put in your original post!

Old 12-31-2003, 10:19 AM   #7
ms_terese
Sounds like massive miscommunication to me.

I have looked at the site in the portfolio, and it definitely isn't a poster child for "custom design". Is this the second version that was done after Chad didn't like the first version?

I don't think either side is a bad guy. It would make no sense for Chad to ask people to make websites he had no intention of using, and it would make no sense for LeoLand to create websites for the heck of it.

Miscommunication. However, I'm going to put the brunt of the responsibility for it on LeoLand. You're running a business that requires you to understand someone's vision. It's not an easy job, but that's what you signed up for. You should have a laundry list of questions to help you achieve this goal....Do you have logos? Do you want new logos? What kind of feel are you going for? Can you show me some other websites that you like? What specifically do you like about that website?

Not to mention CHOICES. Our web designer gave us 3 or 4 choices on everything from front page to logo to picture layout options and constantly asked for our feedback. When you're creating something, you do so a step at a time. If I pay someone to design/decorate my kitchen, they don't put down tile, buy appliances, paint the walls, and hang curtains then ask me if that was the tile or paint or window covering I wanted......they give me options for each piece.

Just my .02

Happy new year everyone!

Old 12-31-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
robin d.
also though... what was the asking price on the leo... i mean if it was say for instance a $50 dollar leo. how much customizing is needed to be put into it for that amount? i dont know what leo or what it was priced at but you definately have to think about the value of the trade and what that is worth to the other. but yes i do think alot of this has been miscomunication

Old 12-31-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
shadowlandz
Cheapskate

Blazin,
I don't know how much you figure your time is worth but to not give the fella a $25 retail Leopard for the amount of work he put into that site is pretty cheap.
I do websites all the time and believe me, I wouldn't even consider doing a website for just a single Leopard unless it was something worth alot more then $25.00.
Give the guy his Gecko. Quit making yourself look like a cheapskate. The site he has listed for you on his site is simple but does the job for that kind of money.
Just my opinion. I'd tell you the same thing if you were standing in front of me. When it comes to a business site, simple is sometimes better. What do you want? A shopping cart added to it. Believe me!! That in it'self will be a lot more then $25.00. It will be more then that per month. Then who is going to maintain it for you. It take alot of time to maintain a store website.
Again.. Just my opinion.
You've got some nice looking Geckos. I, Like many others, may be interested in buying sometime.
Mel Wright

Old 01-01-2004, 01:13 AM   #10
Blazin
To Shadowland and anyone else.

First of all your assuming things and know nothing of the gecko in question. It was not a $25 dollar animal or to you Robin a $50 dollar gecko. The money or the gecko is not the issue here. The issue is some kid is trying to run a business which he obviously knows little about. As I stated above I had requested some things be done to the site that were never done. Not only that I never even heard back from him AND STILL HAVE NOT! That brings us back to customer service. I have supplied hundreds of geckos to people and have had only 1 problem in 4 years! Yes one problem and this was not my fault and I rectified the situation! So please don't lecture me on being a cheapskate or anything else. I never got what I agreed to or wanted. As far as the miscommunication goes you have to carry on dialogue in order to have a misunderstanding. That being said all that finger pointing he did just did one thing. It pointed 3 right back in his direction.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!