Info TGR Rack Heat Tape Connection Issue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #1
elthznd901
Lightbulb TGR Rack Heat Tape Connection Issue

I have gone back and forth about writing this informational post. I am not disputing with TGR, but simply want to spread the info for others to make their own decisions. Ignoring all previous issues, the final straw that broke the camels back for me was a heat tape issue. TGR seems to think since they have been using this connection method for years, it is ok.

Let me explain..

TGR has its heat tape wired in parallel for each shelf. The important part here is the wires are simply twisted together and placed on the heat tape for a connection. There is no physical connection with the heat tape. The connection is simply held together by gorilla tape(I believe). Here is the danger.. If over time the tape that holds this connection together slowly comes apart(not uncommon for any adhesive tape) obviously the connection is compromised. Typically, as recommended by the manufacturers of heat tape, the connection is soldered, crimped, riveted, etc... creating a true connection.

Supposedly all new racks are being done correctly. What bothers me is I have seen no official announcement on the older racks to notify people who have these racks of the potential issue.

As a hobbyist, regardless of backlash, I simply cannot be quiet while 1000's of keepers have these racks. All it takes is one mishap and collections can be destroyed, or even worse... I may make some enemies or even hurt myself by making people aware of this, but I couldn't live with myself if something would happen and I knew about it without saying something. Given the business owners demeanor in my communications, I don't feel like people will be rightly notified.

I feel all connections with AC power should be made to typical manufacturers standards at the very minimum for safety reasons.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks...

Old 11-13-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
elthznd901

Old 11-13-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
elthznd901
Sorry tried to post an image a few times and didnt work.. here is the direct link:

https://imgur.com/fSHYjPz

Old 11-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by elthznd901 View Post
Ignoring all previous issues
What previous issues did you have?
I have sent TGR notification of this thread via their site, so that they might respond if they wish.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by elthznd901 View Post
Sorry tried to post an image a few times and didnt work.. here is the direct link:

https://imgur.com/fSHYjPz
You need to upload your image as an attachment since pictures on other sites can be removed. Instructions on how to do that are at http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=304671

Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
elthznd901
Quote:
You need to upload your image as an attachment since pictures on other sites can be removed. Instructions on how to do that are at http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=304671
Thanks picture attached in this reply.

Quote:
What previous issues did you have?
I have sent TGR notification of this thread via their site, so that they might respond if they wish.
Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned any other issues. I don't want to detract from the more serious problem of the heat tape connection, but they were simply issues with basic customer service and the heat tape not holding in place.

I want to be clear, I am not looking for anything from this company. This is more of an informational post. I just think its important everyone knows who may have these racks so they can choose for themselves if they are comfortable with this connection(being this is not a recommended way to connect heat tape). I contacted a few individuals I knew after most references of this on Facebook disappeared and they had no idea of the issue. This is more of a PSA. I do know supposedly TGR will send you a new heat tape assembly if you pay for it(minus labor) assuming you happen to know about the issue.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Snake-Queen
While I may have limited knowledge on heat tape, I do know that connection is dangerous and wrong.

That is definitely not industry standard when it comes to heat tape. To fix this issue, they should send out new heat tape to all their customers who have tape that can (and likely will) cause catastrophic failure, either by failing to heat or catching fire, free ... a customer should not have to pay for a manufacturers mistake.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
April Homich
I did buy one of these racks, and with this bothers me. I would have appreciated a notification email from them, but will just make the assumption that mine is not wired properly, either. It's such a ridiculous shortcut to take. The least they could do is notify former customers, and offer to ship clips for free. I will be rewiring this myself, but that would be a step in the right direction. Overall, their lack of communication with customers regarding delays has been a little frustrating.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
snowgyre
Louie, I remember this being discussed on Facebook but I don't remember which page. I do recall there being additional photos, however. If you have them please upload them here.

In short, there is a small pocket between the plastic sheath and the copper leads on THG heat tape. Instead of soldering or crimping the connection between the wire and the copper leads, TGR simply coils the exposed wire of the extension cord, slips it into this slot, and holds the connection in place with tape. I do recall TGR defending this connection despite the concerns of many that this type of connection is unstable and can be dangerous (I was one of the commenters on that post). I doubt any electrician would come to TGR's defense on this one, and it's such a simple fix I'm not sure why they were defensive instead of proactively addressing a serious safety issue. I personally would not purchase a rack from them until they fixed their connections.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
elthznd901
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Louie, I remember this being discussed on Facebook but I don't remember which page. I do recall there being additional photos, however. If you have them please upload them here.

In short, there is a small pocket between the plastic sheath and the copper leads on THG heat tape. Instead of soldering or crimping the connection between the wire and the copper leads, TGR simply coils the exposed wire of the extension cord, slips it into this slot, and holds the connection in place with tape. I do recall TGR defending this connection despite the concerns of many that this type of connection is unstable and can be dangerous (I was one of the commenters on that post). I doubt any electrician would come to TGR's defense on this one, and it's such a simple fix I'm not sure why they were defensive instead of proactively addressing a serious safety issue. I personally would not purchase a rack from them until they fixed their connections.
I'm sorry I do not have any additional pictures from Facebook and I believe all of those posts have been removed. I haven't fixed mine yet though so if anyone wants more of something specific just let me know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!