Hundreds of rats found abandonded in R.I. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
dzoo
Hundreds of rats found abandonded in R.I.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/loc...t_office/8666/

Quote:
FOSTER, R.I.—The Rhode Island Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals picked up almost 300 rats from the Providence Water Authority’s office in Foster on Tuesday night.
Many of the rats were found in boxes, cages and aquariums. About 208 of the 280 rats were still alive. They were found in eight containers, including glass aquariums, bird cages and cat carriers, at the office . People who drove by saw the rats and alerted police. >>>>>>>>>
video at the link above

Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
dzoo
RI man arrested after dead rats found

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/na...osition=recent

Quote:
FOSTER, R.I. — A Providence man has been charged with animal abandonment after authorities found almost 300 rats left on the side of a road.
Foster police said Friday that 23-year-old Toby Duffany was arrested and arraigned before a justice of the peace. He was released on $20,000 personal recognizance until a district court arraignment Jan. 21. A telephone listing fo

Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
sjsexotics
wow what is the point to rescue them to just put every one to sleep I have a few hungry snakes that could have used a meal what a wast of good food and really like they could not find homes for maybe a few????

Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
dzoo
Dad of the year?

I agree, there were so many better options for them. Also if this dumb**s needed to get rid of them so bad I'm sure a pet store or animal shelter would have taken them. Plus if he was going to abandon them in the woods, at least let them out of the cages!
I don't know if he was breeding them for reptile food as the first story states but this sort of article certainly doesn't help the image of the reptile keeping community.
Here's some more on the story, I'm sure he's going to be a great parent.....

NBC 10 NEWS
Published: January 3, 2009
FOSTER, R.I.—A Providence man has been charged after more than 250 rats were abandoned in Foster Tuesday night.
Police said Toby Duffany, 23, was arrested and arraigned Friday by a justice of the peace. The Rhode Island Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said a tip led their joint investigation with Foster Police to Duffany.
Duffany told NBC 10 that his girlfriend had given birth on Dec. 26 and that Department of Children, Youth and Families told him he could not bring his daughter home until the rats were gone.
The SPCA said there were more than 200 living rats and more than 70 dead rats dropped off Tuesday night. All of the living rats had to be euthanized for health reasons.
Duffany was released on personal recognizance and will be back in court for a Jan. 21 arraignment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/news/loc...ead_rats/8756/

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsexotics View Post
wow what is the point to rescue them to just put every one to sleep I have a few hungry snakes that could have used a meal what a wast of good food and really like they could not find homes for maybe a few????
I would not have fed those animals to my snakes... did you see some of the enclosures those things were kept in? Filthy.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Wolfy-hound
The SPCA can't give animals to someone to use as food. It sort of goes against the "caring for animals" part. They won't give you a abandened cow unless you'll prove you intend to keep it forever, instead of raising it to butcher.
I wouldn't have wanted to try to rehome those rats, as most looked very unhealthy. It was probably best that they were euthanized.
I kind of understand the Dept of Children saying he had to get rid of the rats to bring his newborn daughter in, if they were being kept in such filthy conditions. If they had been well housed and kept clean and properly fed etc, I think there would have been no issue.
I don't understand his thinking either, why put them out in the cages to die, when he could have contacted the SPCA and given them to them? People make no sense.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
wcreptiles
Rhode Island Man Fined for Abandoning 300 Rats

"$1,000 restitution and perform 50 hours of community service." Slap on the wrist if you ask me. I guess the judge didn't think rats were cute enough, leave 300 puppies on the side of the road and see what happens.

Quote:
Rhode Island Man Fined for Abandoning 300 Rats
Thursday , January 22, 2009

A Providence man who abandoned nearly 300 rats on the side of a road has been ordered to pay $1,000 restitution and perform 50 hours of community service.

Toby Duffany pleaded no contest on Wednesday to animal abandonment.

Authorities say the 22-year-old Duffany left 280 rats crammed into aquariums and cages by the side of a Foster road last month. By the time they were discovered Dec. 30, the animals had been there several days, 72 were dead and the survivors had resorted to cannibalism.

The living rats were euthanized by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Duffany said in court he got rid of the rats because they could not live in his apartment with his new baby.

An RISPCA official tells The Providence Journal the punishment was disappointing.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481460,00.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!