Sun-Glo Coil Lantern - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
jcvelez
Lightbulb Sun-Glo Coil Lantern

Will this bulb provide sufficient UVB rays for my yearling dragon??

I'm purchasing the 23 watt coil lantern.

JC

Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello JC,

No, the Flukers sun glo lantern coil light does not even put out any UVB at all. So, it will not be sufficient for your dragon. All it will provide is UVA & overall light for brightness, that is it.
I will never recommend any Flukers light because they have yet to put out any decent one.
Please stay with either the zoomed reptisun 10, or the exoterra reptiglo 8 or reptiglo 10. There is no substitute for good lighting. You usually get what you pay for. If the box doesn't say specifically UVB on it, then, it does not provide it.

Tracie

Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
jcvelez
Thank you, Thank you!

jc

Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello JC,

You are welcome. Look at www.reptilesupply.com or www.bigappleherp.com Sometimes, those places have really good sales on those tube lights.

Tracie

Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
jcvelez
Yes! I found them and compared to some of the petshop prices I really got some bargains!!!!!!!!!!!! www.reptilesupply.com had everything I needed.

Have you ever used the matts for substrate??? Some people have told me that it's easier to keep the tank clean. Plus, no digestive problems that might be caused from other substrates.

jc

Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello JC,

GREAT you found the lights. Which one did you decide on then?
Which type of mat for the substrate, not a heated one right? Don't use any heated type of mat. You can use a mat but just not heated, for a substrate that is true. It is an easy cleanup.
Very true, loose substrates cause impactions, so I always recommmend a solid substrate, it is much cleaner & more sanitary.

Tracie

Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
jcvelez
I purchased the Repi Glo 10.0 Compact Desert lamp $12.11 26 watts
and an Exo Terra Ceramic Heat Emitter 150 watts $19.06

I also purchased a Terrarium Liner Green 40/50 Gallon $6.66. This is not heated. However, I do have a mat placed underneath the tank that heats a small portion of the tank, where the lamp is.

My beardie "Chiquita" is a yearling and is in a 40 gal tank. She eats her crickets but won't eat much of the salad. I think she's getting spoiled!!!

I also have a russian tortoise "Lupe" and I purchased the PowerSun UV 100 Watts@$38.00, for her.

Do you have any other reptiles?

jc

Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello JC,

Oh, did they already ship your light? The compact is not as good as the flourescent tube. Can you call to change that on your order? The lights are hard on your dragon's eyes & they don't put out as much UVB either.
The heatmat really isn't needed for heat if you have a bright white basking light for him. The ceramic heat emitter is fine, but, you do need a bright white light. Just get a halogen bulb from home depot or use a regular household daytime light. Either one works fine. The green liner is great, it is probably washable, too. We will get you all setup!!
Try to switch your order before they ship out if possible!
That is cool, a russian tortoise huh?
We have a ball python, he is coming up on 1 year in september now.
I used to have a dog named Chiquita, how cool. I love that name.

Tracie

Old 08-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
jcvelez
Tracie, Tracie, Tracie.......

Okay, I will call them tomorrow and try to change the order.

What would the Halogen bulb from Home Depot do?????? (UVB?/UVA?) or just heat?

What do you think about this bulb,
Zilla: Desert Series Low Profile T5 Fixture 20 " Single

I saw this one at reptilesupply, check it out and let me know.

Chiquita is lucky I care!

jc

Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello JC,

Are you giving me a hard time??
The halogen bulb will only give off the needed UVA, & heat, but it is high levels of brightness that they need. They need roughly 5000K on the CRI chart for light intensity.
The ESU or Zilla (same company) T5 flourescent bulb desert series is very new. It puts out ALOT of UVB for a flourescent, too much really. It has not been extensively tested, but their data is incorrect on the box. So, if you do get it, my recommendation is to keep it 12 inches from your dragon, keep the lens cap ON, & use a bright halogen light to protect his eyes from that light.
Otherwise, just get the reptisun 10 if they have it.
Yes, Chiquita is very lucky that you are doing all of this for him!! Thank you for taking good care of him.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!