Illegal D. couperi - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
epidemic
Illegal D. couperi

I posted this on the "other" forum, but wanted to get comments here as well.

Approximately one month prior to the Daytona show earlier this year, I was contacted by an individual regarding an antiquated add, I had posted on a different forum and had simply forgotten about, offering me a group of neonate D. couperi .
Upon indicating my interest in acquiring the group, this individual informed me that the mother of this group was a wild caught specimen taken from central Florida and further described her as a 6’, red-chinned and robust specimen. The individual also inquired as to whether I would be in Daytona the following month to purchase and pick up the animals. When I mentioned the legality of such, and indicated I would not be in Daytona, but would be willing to obtain permits, should the individual not reside in FL, I was told he / she would get back to me in a couple of days. Of course, that was the last I heard from them..
During the course of this brief correspondence, the individual selling the D. couperi sent several photos, one of which I am attaching to this post.
I am simply curious as to whether anyone else was offered these specimens, knows of the origins of the photo I have posted, or was contacted by this same individual.
Also, I have a few of the other photos the individual sent, should anyone be interested in viewing such…

Best regards,

Jeff
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
gbkulture86
hmmm....Sounds strange..Could you possibly e-mail me his name and/or email adress and we can find out what he is up to and if he is indeed dealing with a wild caught illegal specimen? my email is: thegelatinousmonster@yahoo.com Thanks! -Will

Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
thesnakeman
Finger prints

A good crime lab can zoom in on those finger prints, and tell who that is.
T.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 AM   #4
thesnakeman
woops

I saw the other pic over at the other forum. A good crime lab can clean up the image of those finger tips of the hand holding the snakes, and make a positive I.D.

If those are truely wild caught, I'd be curious to know if the guy found and raided the nest. Exactly where, and when he did so would be valuable information, since nobody has ever been able to find an egg depository site before.
T.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
epidemic
Illegal D. couperi

Unfortunately, I only had a first name, Paul, and the e-mail address he gave me turned up invalid when i attempted to make contact with him, after inquiring about the acquisition of permits..
I do not believe the babies were wild caught, as I do not believe a neonate D. couperi has even been found in the wild.. Also, "Paul" sent me a couple of photos of the babies pipping from the eggs, here is one of them...
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
gbkulture86
Well, I dont know what to say? How did he get your contact info? Did you post a wanted ad? On where? ...Please send me some more of those pics at: thegelatinousmonster@yahoo.com ...they are still nice indigos. lol. -will

Old 12-02-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
thesnakeman
finding wild neonates

When I lived in Cape Coral, Florida, I used to go fishing down at the city pier late at night for Snook. And one of the regular fishing crowd told me that he found lot's of "baby indigos" where he worked security at the local Water Park. I think it was Wet and Wild or something like that. I tried several times to get him to show me, as I was doubtful, but he refused. He did however, describe them perfectly. Which, usualy when a novice describes what they saw, it's way off. But this guy was right on the money. I have always wondered about that.
T.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
oldherper
I have seen one wild neonate couperi . I am hesitant to post where and how it was found, as I would not want to take the chance of sending a bunch of people out raping the landscape. The point is that a few have been found, but they are very definitely secretive and fossorial in nature as neonates.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
oldherper
By the way...

I heard rumors of illegally obtained couperi that were being sold during the Daytona show this year. I'm not sure if it was for real or some feeble attempt at a "sting" by DNR...I certainly didn't pursue it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!