Tame snapping turtle - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #1
WebSlave
Tame snapping turtle

Maybe this has been posted before, but it is new to me (I think!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxZH_Fp70Bs

I never would have thought a snapping turtle could be tamed like that.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
EdwardK
Back in the 1990s During my zoo career we had a lady who would call the building to tell us about her chicken turtle which she would dress in clothes and let it sleep in bed with her and her husband.

Ed

Old 09-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
nickolasanastasiou
While there are of course individual differences, my experience is that when a wild type (non-morph) common snapper is raised with a lot of human interaction from a young age, you get very tame or docile behavior in a decent number of instances. They will walk out of an in-ground pond and climb into your lap as you sit in the grass if they really know you and trust you. Just as many will recognize the keeper as the bearer of food, some will seek interaction beyond that provision. I am not sure (yet) that the same applies to albinos. I raised a lot of wild type snappers in my pre-teen and teenage years. I think I had my first hatchling when I was around 5 years old or so.

So far, my albino snapper experiences have the visual acuity difference leading to more frequent wild strikes at movement and vibration whether for catching food or acting in perceived defense. I take efforts to protect the eyes of my albino animals so that they are not subject to discomfort from bright light flooding an unpigmented retina, so they tend to maintain better vision than some kept in harsher lighting, but the visual sense is still notably weaker compared to an animal without compromised eye pigmentation. With growth and interaction, I have seen some calming of the striking behavior and less panic when handled, but the rate of progress towards a more calm animal has been way slower than my experiences with wild type snappers. That said, my albino sample size cannot come anywhere close to my wild type snapper sample size yet.

I would trust a wild type Chelydra I have raised to an adult from a neonate more than I would trust a wild type Manouria I have raised to an adult from a neonate despite the menacing appearance of the former and the friendly appearance of the latter. More checkers with snappers. More chess with Burmese.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Randall Turner
That's pretty amazing to see. This is the second friendly common snapper ive seen this week.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #5
WebSlave
The interesting thing to me is that this snapper actually LOOKS friendly. Quite unlike the ones I used to catch as a kid. They really looked the part of a "snapping" turtle.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
JColt
Here is updated video's of Tank Sept 2020

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!