Adeno Society - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Drache613
Adeno Society

Hello All,

I just thought I would inform everyone that I have launched an Adeno virus society. I have been working on it & planning for over a year now, & have finally gotten the site up for this breeding season 2008.
I feel that this virus has taken a pretty large toll on the bearded dragon colonies in a huge amount of the US now. I wanted to try & help in some way, even if it is a small way.
Thanks for the support.

http://www.thepats.info/

Tracie

Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
puppytoes72
Wow,so many views and no replies?
Tracie, this is an awesome thing you are doing and keep up the great work! We all appreciate the hard work you are doing for the beardie community

Congratulations and kudos to all the people on the breeders list that are actively testing, ESPECIALLY Denise who has proved to so many skeptics that she does indeed have a AV-negative colony. (you too Gina!).

Good luck to Anthony and Angie on the completed test results.

I wish all of you the best and when someone asks for a caring and responsible breeder I will be sure to mention Denise,Gina,Anthony and Angie (and anyone else that decides to be responsible and test)

Good luck to all of you on your future testings in 2008!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Tere Salazar
I agree, Michele, this is a wonderful thing! I have a feeling it will be of a lot more help than Tracie realizes.

Tracie, thanks for being so dedicated to these scaly babies we all love so much.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Drache613
Thanks!

Hello You Two,

Wow, thanks, that was very nice of you! I will do my best to try & provide as good a service as I can. I just want to help out in any way that I can. The dragons deserve the best they can get!!

Thanks!

Tracie

Old 01-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytoes72
Wow,so many views and no replies?
What do you want us to reply on, exactly? Yes, It is great that someone actually took the incentive to do something proactive, unlike yourself. I support it and would actually like to see Tracie put a donation button on the site. Let people help her with upkeep costs of the site and/or donate to the ongoing research at U of F. Or even help out fellow herpers that want to test, but for financial reasons cannot. Maybe we could help out.

Quote:

ESPECIALLY Denise who has proved to so many skeptics that she does indeed have a AV-negative colony. (you too Gina!).

http://www.thepats.info/Breeder_Information.html

It is a first step in the right direction, but in my opinion, way too soon to label a breeder totally "adeno-free" or to "have a AV-negative colony". There are 4 breeders right now on the site, one has tested once (2007 Gina Searles), two have not tested all their breeders yet.(Annapolis Bearded and Angie Martin) and one (Denise) ''She has done several rounds of testing prior to now which all have yielded negative results from 2007 & previously.'' Which is not totally accurate because she did have postives in her home, but removed the dragons.(Correct me if I am mistaken.) But it will be valuable data to see if, after removing the positives, can your remaining negatives continue to test negative for years?...Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Dragons
I sent in my samples for testing and am saddened to say that pretty much my entire colony has been cross infected from the adenovirus outbreak I had last season. Herbie, my pride and joy, is positive. I tested 5 out of 7 dragons and 4 were positive. I think the other one is as well, she is just not shedding the virus. It is important to note that all of these dragons tested negative using the fecal em last fall. Ongoing testing needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWDOG
Actually what I am saying is that the nested PCR that University of Gainesville, Florida does is much better than the EM test. It is more pricey but the fact that they are using two sequential primers and sequencing the viral DNA is one of the big reasons why this test is more specific and more costly.
I know that PCR testing is more pricey, but as Rawdag and the UofF have stated, it is a more accurate testing method as stated in the report " It can therefore be expected that EM-Electron microscopy will result in a significantly higher rate of False negative results."

Do you plan on requiring PCR testing as well as EM testing in the future? To get a very clear, long term picture I would think you would need to test negative continually both ways. If we want larger breeder to start testing, should you not start with the smaller breeders with a handful or so of dragons and show that they test both EM and PCR negative. Show the larger breeders that both testing methods are continually yielding negative results over a long period of time. Because I fear that if you limit to EM only, they will fire back that it is not reliable to only test EM.

I do commend you Tracie for taking this on and hope you can stay fair and impartial, so more breeders will contribute data in the future.

One last thing, are they testing the baby bins also? Are any babies being tested or just the breeders?

Thanks, Jean

Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
puppytoes72
always have to argue huh jean? alls i heard was "blah blah blah".

anyways tracie,didn't you receive my "contribution" to your site in the mail a couple days ago? i "had incentive to do something proactive" to help out you and your efforts im sure you will find it very valuable in your research efforts on AV keep up the great work and let me know if there is anything else i could do for you!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
mikey
Quote:
always have to argue huh jean? alls i heard was "blah blah blah".
Do you need a reminder as to why you were sent on a 3 day vacation the last time you posted on Fauna ? Read and reread, please....before your next suspension um.. vacation..

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...62&page=1&pp=5

Quote:
.i swore i would never post here again,
Promise, Pretty please... See ya !!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
puppytoes72
omg,will you ever grow up jean?? you are looking ridiculous bringing old stuff to this thread.i am only posting on here because its for a good cause. try to stay on topic please ok? be mature and do not ruin tracie's thread,she has put alot of work into this. try to be respectful.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
varnyard
Tracie, I think you are doing a great thing.

Also, let me remind everyone, attacking people outside the BOI is not allowed.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Tere Salazar
Tracie-

Please don't let the rude comments of some scare you away from helping the rest of us the way you are. Whether those "some" like it or not is of no consequence because no matter what you do, it will never be good enough for the "some". At least you're trying to do something positive, rather than running around picking fights, and that's more than "some" can say.

You've worked hard on this, and I, for one, appreciate it, and commend you for it.

The site looks fantastic, by the way!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!