Super dwarf retic question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
Big Borg Reptiles
Super dwarf retic question

I'm very new to retics and am still trying to figure out breeding because I'm super excited about it.

I purchased a 50% super dwarf sunfire het anery female that I was told was around 4 years old. The problem is, she's only 6 feet long. From my understanding, the 50% super dwarfs should be pushing closer to 10 feet when they're at breeding size, but I would think after 4 years she would definitely be at sexual maturity. I was told that her dad only hit 5' full grown, and I trust the breeder.

I wonder if maybe the breeder got mixed up on the age, or maybe they just weren't feeding her every week? Would that cause a snake to stay this much smaller? My main concern is that I don't want to pair her with a male if she's too small, she's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her. I've had her for about 3 months and feed her every week but haven't noticed any growth.

Also, what would be a good morph to breed with the sunfire? I'm obviously going to grab a dwarf anery combo male, but what sunfire and sunfire anery combos sell well/look cool? I was thinking to try for a super sunfire but would love any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
I'm very new to retics and am still trying to figure out breeding because I'm super excited about it.

I purchased a 50% super dwarf sunfire het anery female that I was told was around 4 years old. The problem is, she's only 6 feet long. From my understanding, the 50% super dwarfs should be pushing closer to 10 feet when they're at breeding size, but I would think after 4 years she would definitely be at sexual maturity. I was told that her dad only hit 5' full grown, and I trust the breeder.
It entirely depends on the locale of said super dwarf. You need to give more info. Was the breeder male a 100% superdwarf anery that was bred to a normal size female sunfire? Was the sunfire female any sort of dwarf?

Quote:
I wonder if maybe the breeder got mixed up on the age, or maybe they just weren't feeding her every week? Would that cause a snake to stay this much smaller? My main concern is that I don't want to pair her with a male if she's too small, she's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her. I've had her for about 3 months and feed her every week but haven't noticed any growth.
Unless he fer her once every 2 months as a baby, she wouldn't be stunted. SD's grow very fast and then cap out at their size in 2 years or sooner. a 6ft SD is large enough to breed.

Quote:
Also, what would be a good morph to breed with the sunfire? I'm obviously going to grab a dwarf anery combo male, but what sunfire and sunfire anery combos sell well/look cool? I was thinking to try for a super sunfire but would love any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I could list morph after morph of what I enjoy, but ultimately it's up to you. What you enjoy looking at. What you're willing to put the time, money and care into. There are many morphs for retics. Pick out pattern morphs and then color morphs. Then try and find that combo and see how you like the look of it.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
Thank you for the response. I honestly have NO idea about locality, the only information I was given was that she was 50% super dwarf. She could have been bred to a wild-type or another dwarf, but I'm guessing if the age is accurate that it must have been a dwarf x SD.

I was told that she was fed every 10 days, which I assumed shouldn't make that drastic of a difference in size after this period of time. I'm going to spend some time looking for the right male anyway, so if she ends up growing another 2 feet by next year I'll at least feel more comfortable. She definitely doesn't act like a young snake so I'm thinking she probably is good to go.

Thanks again for the input, I'll have to do some research on morphs and see what stands out to me. I know I love the lavender albinos but there's no way I have the space to work on more than one recessive retic project right now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!