Winter shipping - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
jnjreptile
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I have a 9x9x9 box, and a 12x12x12 box that I normally use. I use ½" insulation board for building, R-MAX or Owens Corning normally, and tape the heat pack to the lid as well. I don't poke holes in the box either, and I can stand on the box when sealed. Sound alright? I'll be using FedEx once I get the waiver and all that.

I've shipped a few times, and know that the set up will hold up. I had a Nicaraguan Boa go for a 3 day cruise with DHL one time, and he arrived chipper as can be. And although it was cold at one of the hubs he spent the night at, it wasn't down in the teens, so I'm a little leery.

What sort of heat pack do you use? I just went and bought like 40 of them, and I wasted 3 testing them with the temp gun. They take quite a while to peak out, like 8 hrs, and they only peaked out if I played with them often, or else they'd start to cool again after an hour or two. I used one to send a couple neos to GA not long ago, Delta DASH service, and it gave out en route. Supposedly a 40 hour pack too. I recently ordered more of the ones I usually use. I know they'll work 36 hours at least, and peak in about an hour & ½.

So, seems like the consensus is, that as long as I pack like I normally do, it would be OK, baring any mishaps of course?

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep 'em comin'.

I actually prefer shorter boxes as there is a lot less dead air space to heat. We use the 40 hour heat packs from superior enterprise. I activate then in the am and by the time we start packing orders between 12-2pm they are getting nice and warm. Ship FedEx, they are the best, DHL doesn't deserve to be in business.

It seams like you are well on your way.
I am going to run so I can play with my son before bed, but will post more info in the am.

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
hhmoore
I've had heat packs stop functioning en route, only to heat up again when the box is opened. Since then, I have started either leaving an open corner in the insulation or poking a circle of holes right behind the heat pack.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I've had heat packs stop functioning en route, only to heat up again when the box is opened. Since then, I have started either leaving an open corner in the insulation or poking a circle of holes right behind the heat pack.
Might try something like that some time, just so I don't have to toss these heat packs out. I already ordered the other ones, and they'll work just fine with out the holes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!