Getting a site hosted - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
*cough* *cough* Ahem...... http://www.FaunaNet.com......

At least you came right out with it. Others chose to PM me instead of posting here.

But really, finding a host ain't the problem. I just wanted to know about updating your site, and if it's pain, or if I'd have to rely on someone else, how you go about getting it hosted, etc. I think I got the answers I was looking for.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
personally, i would never host a site that also holds my domain name. but. thats just me.
Do you mean you would never buy hosting and domain registration from the same company? If so, why?

I buy registrations and hosting the same way I might buy anything else. I shop around. If the same firm has the best deal on both, then I would have no issue.

I do tend to move domains to the same registrant as they near expiration as it is simpler for me to keep them in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Rick, you need to find a web host that supports FrontPage extension. I just logged into mine and my host does. I'm not sure why it's so specific (I don't use FrontPage) but for some reason it won't work unless you have it.
That's old 'softy at work. Microsoft actually stopped supporting FrontPage extensions in June 2006 so having them on a server is perhaps a security threat. Many hosts are removing support. I don't have them and don't plan to add them to my server.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
That's old 'softy at work. Microsoft actually stopped supporting FrontPage extensions in June 2006 so having them on a server is perhaps a security threat. Many hosts are removing support. I don't have them and don't plan to add them to my server.
That's interesting. Seems like no matter how hard I try to not spend the money on something like Dreamweaver, to build ONE lousy site, eventually I am going to be forced to do it anyway, or I'll have to hire someone else to do it all for me.

The latter is not likely to occur though. I did this to learn a few things mainly. I'm learning things alright.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Do you mean you would never buy hosting and domain registration from the same company? If so, why?
More than likely not.

For one, and when i registered and set up my site however long ago, i had reasons * of which ive... pretty much forgotten now.. sad i know, but i have a horrid memory* that basically were, I didnt want one company/site business to hold rights or.. whatever over my site. and preferred hosting it with a different company than which i bought my domain. In case for some reason they ever decided to "lock it out" ( i believe there have been stories of this, but im far too lazy to actually look) and the fact that, i got the domain cheap from go daddy but at the time ( not sure now) hosting with them was more expensive than with other companies. ( and the fact that i wanted to pay monthly. not yearly)

I really forgot all my reasons for doing it this way, and why id still continue to do it. All i know is. i just prefer it that way.

silly i know. but im stubborn

Old 02-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
KelliH
Quote:
That's interesting. Seems like no matter how hard I try to not spend the money on something like Dreamweaver, to build ONE lousy site, eventually I am going to be forced to do it anyway, or I'll have to hire someone else to do it all for me.
Oh hey Rick, I can help you out with that, no probl... uhh.. never mind.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #16
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Oh hey Rick, I can help you out with that, no probl... uhh.. never mind.
HA HA HA HA HA HA

Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
This is getting a bit more off topic, but there are less expensive products that Dreamweaver for creating a relatively simple site. But I definitely would get away from FrontPage for the reason I mentioned, and others. Microsoft did discontinue FrontPage after the 2003 version and came out with replacement products after that. How much they have caught on I don't know but supporting a consumer software product for three years after it's last release is probably about standard in today's software market.

You can use an open source software product like Joomla as a template. That is free and highly robust. There are lots of free templates for it so you can customize the look for yourself, and it has a MySQL database backbone and an administrative back end that makes editing easy. There are a lot of free extensions for it and a few paid ones if necessary. There is a bit of a learning curve with it, but with a relatively simple site it shouldn't be hard. There is also a huge support forum for it. Mambo is a similar package with which I have less familiarity but you can do pretty much with one what you can with the other.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Gary O
Joomla is based off Mambo. Both being open source. The way it happened is the team that created Mambo did not all agree with the way things were going. Some broke off and made Joomla. You can even use some of the modules on each others software as the core is almost the same. There is more for Mambo as it is the older of the two softwares. But both are nice.

I believe Rich's hosting comes with Fantistico(sp) which allows the user to install such programs with a few clicks of the mouse. You can even install stuff like blogs and guest books with a few clicks of the mouse.

Setting up a website can be very easy or hard. It is up to you if you want a lot of stuff or want a simple site. At first you will go simple and by the end you will notice you added a lot. and then you get addicted to it lol.

Cpanel, Something Rich offers makes things easy for the client. I mean REAL easy. Setting up sites to setting up eamils. It is a click here and a form here.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
Joomla is based off Mambo. Both being open source. The way it happened is the team that created Mambo did not all agree with the way things were going. Some broke off and made Joomla. You can even use some of the modules on each others software as the core is almost the same. There is more for Mambo as it is the older of the two softwares. But both are nice.
This now getting wayyyy off topic but yes, I am aware of that. It had to do with control by Miro and the "Mambo Foundation" and whether Mambo would really be independent. The very first version of Joomla was very similar to Mambo, and the extensions mostly worked on both, but they have diverged. Joomla 1.5 is really a different framework, and the extensions built for it by and large will not work with Joomla 1.0 or any version of Mambo. I'm actually in the early stages of developing a (NON-REPTILE RELATED) site using Joomla as the CMS and the Joomla 1.5 extension JFusion, which is still in alpha to connect to vBulletin 3.6.8. It uses vBulletin's user table and JFusion's login to log into both software packages. It should be pretty cool once it's done. If you want to see it, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the address.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
TripleMoonsExotic
Rick, you can buy older versions of Dreamweaver off of Ebay for far less then what you would have to pay for the spankin' new version. Very little is different, though Dreamweaver doesn't write valid code (I don't believe any of the plug and play web site software does), for it to be valid you still have to hand code (which probably isn't a concern for you in most cases).

Personally I dislike Joomla, it's very bloated. I use a customized version of WordPress for clients that need a way to edit their sites via a back end web administrative. That however won't be any help for you because, well it's customized per client.

Does FrontPage allow you to export regular HTML pages or anything? Strip out whatever it is that makes it so specific?

Most web hosts have a web site builder if all else fails.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!