Getting a site hosted - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
crotalusadamanteus
Jim, no worries on the OT. It's somewhat related, and interesting.

Stef, what prompted me to ask about it in this thread, is I saw a "publish site" spot in the menu, and it made me start thinking I better look into it all BEFORE it's actually time.

Thanks guys. You've given me a lot to go on.

Rick

Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #22
WebSlave
Just for the record, I am withdrawing my offer of hosting. I have decided to get out of the webhosting business completely.

In the nearly five years I have been doing this, any profit I may have made has been only pennies. Between having to nag people constantly to keep their bills paid and uptodate, having people skip out leaving their account in arrears, people moving their domains and not having the courtesy to let me know, spending time fixing problems (server related, network related, and user generated), as well as just the stress of feeling responsible for keeping someone else's websites up and running, for the roughly $8 a month I charge, it just is not worth it.

So, I'm out..............

Old 02-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
crotalusadamanteus
Like I said in another thread, anyone who does this stuff for a living, ain't right in the head. Way too much brain power involved. Give me a headache thinking about it.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Like I said in another thread, anyone who does this stuff for a living, ain't right in the head. Way too much brain power involved. Give me a headache thinking about it.
I certainly can't argue against that! Figuring on someone paying $8 per month for the hosting with me, if I spend an hour of my time helping them with a problem, how much is my time really worth? Quite honestly, it is worth a lot more per hour than I even charge for the whole year of hosting.

I guess if you have the support all outsourced to Pakistan and have hundreds of clients, you can make some money on it. Heck I was looking at one hosting company and found the specs of what they are offering pretty incredible. I mean REAL incredible...

Check this one out -> http://www.hostmonster.com/
Quote:
1,500 Gigabytes of Hosting Space
Host UNLIMITED Domains!!
Unlimited Pop/Imap Email Accounts
SSH Access (Secure Shell)
15,000 Gigs of Transfer
SSL, FTP, Stats
CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MYSQL
Front Page Extensions
Free Domain Forever
Free Site Builder
Best Support in the Industry
All for $6.95 per month??? Hell, the entire servers I lease don't provide that amount of disk storage and bandwidth. 15 TERABYTES of bandwidth per month? Hell, I should just dump all my servers and host all my domains with them. I would be saving a TON of money.

But something tells me there are some nasty catches associated with it. There is just no way that I have seen that those offered specs can be real. That much bandwidth costs a data center a WHOLE LOT more than $7 per month.

So yeah, I don't know how they do it, but I do know that I certainly can't....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!