Betta Breeding Problems... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
IloveSnakes1234
Question Betta Breeding Problems...

I have 1.1 bettas that I'm trying to breed, but the female keeps destroying the bubble nest and she seems to ignore my male. They've been next to each other for about a month now and when the male built a bubble nest I thought she was ready. Should I get another female...or wait some more???
 
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
Try keeping them nice and warm, and feed both male and female things like bloodworms and all. Change a little of the water every day too. Makes them think it's monsoon season. If you have weather fronts coming in(storms) then try to breed right when that starts. Storms really set off breeding behavior.
The male should really pursue her, so it's possible that since he isn't showing enough interest, she isn't responding properly either. Good luck!
Wolfy
 
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
techgirl
What worked best for me was taking a 10 gallon tank and filling it half-way. Set the temp for 80 degrees. Get a transparent divider and put one betta on each side. On the male's side float an plastic lid or some fake floating plants so he can build his bubble nest. I usually gave the male and female several days before introducing them. Then I would remove the divider and give them some time. Once they get eggs and the male has collected all the eggs, I removed the female. Feeding bloodworms and mysis shrimp, frozen krill and betta food worked well for me. Do include some plants for the female to have some cover should the male be a little too aggressive and she needs some space.
You may need to separate them for some time and then re-introduce them as mentioned above. It worked very well for me but I never got a chance to get the fry past the first 4 weeks due to not getting the bugs out of my first time trying and overfeeding errors. Good luck, hope it works.
 
Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
IloveSnakes1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
What worked best for me was taking a 10 gallon tank and filling it half-way. Set the temp for 80 degrees. Get a transparent divider and put one betta on each side. On the male's side float an plastic lid or some fake floating plants so he can build his bubble nest. I usually gave the male and female several days before introducing them. Then I would remove the divider and give them some time. Once they get eggs and the male has collected all the eggs, I removed the female. Feeding bloodworms and mysis shrimp, frozen krill and betta food worked well for me. Do include some plants for the female to have some cover should the male be a little too aggressive and she needs some space.
You may need to separate them for some time and then re-introduce them as mentioned above. It worked very well for me but I never got a chance to get the fry past the first 4 weeks due to not getting the bugs out of my first time trying and overfeeding errors. Good luck, hope it works.
Thanks! I just have a quesion.. How do I get the food for babies? I heard they need some small... krill stuff but they don't have it at my local pet shop... so how do I get it???
 
Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
You can grow your own microworms or vinegar eels. A google search should give you some people who sell starter cultures. They are easy to grow(oatmeal/cornmeal/mashed taters for the microworms and apple cider vinegar/water mix for the vinegar eels) or you can hatch baby brine shrimp and feed them that, although the smallest fry won't be able to eat baby brine shrimp.
Good luck!
Wolfy
 
Old 05-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
techgirl
Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Starter is also good. Promotes nice color and good growth. That worked well for me. I tried liquid fry food but found it too messy to deal with.
One thing I forgot when introducing them. When you have the dividers up, look for the female starting to look fat as eggs develop. That is the best time to introduce them. You will most likely have them mating within 24-48 hours after that.
 
Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
IloveSnakes1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Starter is also good. Promotes nice color and good growth. That worked well for me. I tried liquid fry food but found it too messy to deal with.
One thing I forgot when introducing them. When you have the dividers up, look for the female starting to look fat as eggs develop. That is the best time to introduce them. You will most likely have them mating within 24-48 hours after that.
Actually today I noticed she got fat but she dosen't seem to swim much(looks like she can't) and she just stays on the bottom. I don't know if this is normal..
 
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
techgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSnakes1234
Actually today I noticed she got fat but she dosen't seem to swim much(looks like she can't) and she just stays on the bottom. I don't know if this is normal..
I don't remember that happening with mine. How old is she? Does she respond when the male comes close by?
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
HiddenHollowHerp
I tried breeding bettas when I was 14. I had them both in a gallon fishbowl and the male ate the female when I was asleep, lol.

Now I just stick with the male.. Oddly enough, he's the first betta I've had that didn't die in a month.. He's still goin' strong.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems With Breeding John Cherry Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum 7 01-04-2006 04:29 PM
betta breeding attempt part deux techgirl General Discussions 9 12-15-2005 11:23 AM
new to betta breeding techgirl General Discussions 3 10-24-2005 10:38 AM
Betta fry frogyetta Fish and Aquatics For Sale/Wanted Ads 5 04-11-2005 12:37 AM
Betta Fish Josh4330 General Discussions 10 08-28-2004 01:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.04394197 seconds with 10 queries
Content copyrighted 2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC