Reptile owners - Stay away from Mooresville, NC - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
SnakeLadyK
Reptile owners - Stay away from Mooresville, NC

*SORRY - EMOTIONAL POST*

Just a warning to anyone contemplating moving to North Carolina. Stay out of Mooresville. They've made it VERY plain they don't want reptiles in their town.
After decades of dedication, all the hard work was for nothing. Now, my husband is gone, my vehicle is gone, and because of cowardly neurotic nut jobs that don't have the juevos to talk to me, my animals will be gone.

We moved here 4 months ago because after raising 4 children and working for years in physically and emotionally demanding jobs (we were body wranglers for the ME's office) our youngest finally graduated high school. We had saved as much as we could and decided when she graduated, we were going to move to NC to start our reptile center in a state that was SUPPOSED to be one of the most reptile-friendly in the US.

WRONG!! Maybe the STATE laws are good, but as for Iredell County and the Town of Mooresville, they are making crap up as they go!

The continuing list:
1. You need a second set of locks on the Vision cages (that would be 2 showcase locks on each cage that houses a red tail boa)

2. Any constrictor will need to have a second locking system on the cage. (The law- not only State, but County- clearly states only the big 5 need these locking systems and its only 1, not 2 locks.)

3. Totes on a rack system are not considered approved housing for any constrictor snakes, even baby ball pythons. They must be in a secured enclosure with 2 locking mechanisms, either combination or key.

4. The 4 foot long Savannah Monitor that just walked in front of the Animal Control Officer is fine. He doesn't need locks on his cage. Heck! He doesn't even need a cage!

5. I must have an approved Plan of Action in plain view at all times, along with a copy to be transported with any animal that leaves the premises AND a copy submitted to Iredell County to be APPROVED and kept on file. (Something that the law states is ONLY required for the Big 5 and venomous)

6. I must turn in yearly inventory of my animals. Complete species list of what I have, whats been brought in, whats gone out. To do this, they supplied me with a form that clearly states FOR NATIVE REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS ONLY. I don't have any native species. The law says to fill out the form for natives species, yet I have none, but they want it filled out... I'm confused!

I've jump through every hoop I can. I've done what it takes to comply with their demands.

Now, even though I make no money from these animals, at all, I get the phone call yesterday from Town Hall's Zoning and Planning Dept. Because I have a website and a phone number, I have to get a home occupation license and a business license.

So the website has been changed. The animals will be sold or rehomed (with the exception of 3 of them). There will be no more get togethers, events, free workshops, rescue assistance, troubleshooting, etc.
Thanks to the ignorant old bitties of Mooresville and the politicians that bend over to kiss their butts, children will hear the term "Herpetology" and think its the study of venereal diseases.

I have arthritis, MS and a heart condition. These animals are the one thing that has kept me going. This is the killing blow. I'm too weary to fight anymore. I can't defeat an ignorant, angry mob.

~SnakeLady out

Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Melinda
That sucks!! I know you said your too weary for a fight, but perhaps just a few kicks as you go down... call all herps soceities around for help. Perhaps a call to a lawyer as they aren't following written codes/laws. Perhaps you can find a lawyer that will handle the case for a cut of damages. How about a call to a news station to see if someone there wants to run the story and/or help you muddle through the hoops.

Sometimes if the law is on your side, throwing a fuss will get results. If you've got the fight in ya, time to posse up.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
snowgyre
I agree with Melinda. This is harassment and blatant misunderstanding of their own regulations. Any lawyer would jump all over this!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
SnakeLadyK
Thank you.
After a few hours and a good crying fit or three, I feel a bit better. (And to be honest, a bit vindictive)

I'll be contacting as many agencies, new stations, lawyers, etc as I possibly can. Please feel free to pass around the news about Mooresville being Anti-Reptile. Anyone can contact me at kbrouse@mayantraders.com to ask more questions or get more information.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. They truely helped.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
snowgyre
As far as I see it, you are being punished for trying to obey the law. Good luck and get a lawyer! Document everything!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
SnakeLadyK
Got an email tonight from the son of one of my accusers! I finally have a name to file a harassment suit against!

Titled: "My apologies for what my mother did"

Yes I know my mother is a massive idiot who fought with me twice
tonight and is probably mostly responsible for what happened. I'm
sorry she's such a bitch who lets her stupid fears get in the way of
intelligent decision making. I was looking forward to seeing you and
all the animals and maybe even learning to overcome my fear of
spiders. I read your website tonight after my mother pointed it out
and I was greatly saddened by it. While she celebrates her stupid
victory I regret the loss of the educational value that you and your
animals provided. My mother gave me a choice of siding with you and
moving out or siding with her and being able to live here. My
response was it was better to be wrong and live here then be right and
move out given I lack the skills the be indepandant and another place
to live. I get the feeling we're gonna have another fight before I go
to bed tonight. I only hope that wherever you go next is much more
tolerant then this hellhole.

Sinceraly,
Frank Easton

Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
MDC_Ophiuchus
I don't know if this is relevant or even 100% true, but I seem to recall a thread about a man in a similar situation. He was able to fight it, because essentially the state law superceded the county/city laws, hands-down. I.E. if the state says its okay, it didn't matter what the county said.

I dunno...might be worth the fight?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
I don't know if this is relevant or even 100% true, but I seem to recall a thread about a man in a similar situation. He was able to fight it, because essentially the state law superceded the county/city laws, hands-down. I.E. if the state says its okay, it didn't matter what the county said.

I dunno...might be worth the fight?
A city or county can be more restrictive but not less restrictive than the state. If the state says it's OK, the county can say it is not OK; but if the state says it is not OK, the county can't say it is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeLadyK
WRONG!! Maybe the STATE laws are good, but as for Iredell County and the Town of Mooresville, they are making crap up as they go!
That is worth a fight, if they were truly making up the restrictions as they went along, just for your case, ex post facto.

Katherine, EXACTLY who gave you the list of restrictions that you posted?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
wstphal
Katherine, I don't know you, but big hugs & good luck fighting!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstphal View Post
Katherine, I don't know you, but big hugs & good luck fighting!
DITTO!!!

You and your critters will be in my prayers!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!