Starting a rat colony, a few questions! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
AdamR
Starting a rat colony, a few questions!

So I've decided it would be nice to have some live rats on hand for my snakes that simply will not take frozen and for the babies while I'm getting them started eating.

I have 2 large tubs so far and 1.2 breeders. One female has 7 large babies that she is almost done weaning (or they simply haven't decided to eat their food yet). The other female has 6 pinkies that she had just a few days ago. My question is, Do I put the breeder male with the female who's babies are almost weaned? Should I move the babies to the mom with the pinkies? Or should I find another tub to keep the male in? I just don't want the male to kill the young ones.

Any advice would be helpful!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
frickpse
i seperate babies from momma at 5 weeks, seperate males from females so theres no inbreeding or accidental pregnancies

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
suzuki4life
You don't "need" to pull the male at all...

However, allowing a mother to nurse her babies without the burden of pregnancy results normally in higher survival rates and babies grow much quicker.

6 and 7 babies is super low....what food are you using?

I've never seen a rat get pregnant anywhere near 5 weeks...so no worries.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
AdamR
I bought the females and their babies from another guy just to get me started so I didnt actually produce these babies. They are on Ol' Roy dog food. Is that ok?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
AdamR
I currently have both females and all babies in one tub. They seem to be taking care of each others young just fine

Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
P&A Pythons
y feed dog food rat blocks are better and cheaper i keep 1:5 never pulling males and get avg depending on age of rat 12-15 babies. I retire breeders after 1 yr to 1 1/2 yrs. red dye in dog food is no good for snakes

Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
P&A Pythons
I used to pull pregnant females and put in diffrent rack but yielded alot less last yr.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
AdamR
Where do I get rat blocks? Feed store? So do I keep 1:5 in the same tub? My tubs are 22"x15". Do I leave the babies in there when they are born? Seems like a crowded area! Sorry about all the questions!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
suzuki4life
Mazuri 6f is $25/50lbs
doggie bag dog food $14/40 lbs.

hard to compete with the doggie bag but Mazuri does yield better results for me.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
AdamR
I checked Mazuri's website and there is a feed store near me that carries that kind so I'll go ASAP! I live in an apartment so I'd like to keep my colony in 2 maybe 3 tubs so what would be the max amount of adults per tub? And do I need to move those with babies to another tub?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!