New Rosy Boa loving water? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
Anvrill
Question New Rosy Boa loving water?

Hey, all.

I'm a new snake owner myself, but I've lived with a man who has five variations of pythons and boas that he's owned and loved for years. He just picked me up an 18" rosy boa that I fell in complete love with at a reptile show on Sunday. I named him Skitters, even though things with no legs can't skitter, but he's damn quick and that's the first thing that popped into my head.

He has the most amazing bronze striping down his length, and one of his eyes is a little quirky; it's half the size of the other. I just want to make him cozy, comfy, happy and keep him well-fed. He spent about three hours twining around my hands while my boyfriend rearranged the living room and set his terrarium up.

When his home was ready, we gave him a welcome-home mouse, and he ate it with gusto. The thing was four times the size of his head, but the breeder had told us he was eating adult mice, and he succeeded. I wish I'd gotten a picture of him with nothing but a tail disappearing between his lips.

He refused to use his hide, which is big enough for him, and an hour later we found him curled up in his water bowl. Apparently rosy boas are a desert snake, so I thought it was a little weird, but my boyfriend told me his snakes sometimes do this if they feel a dump coming on. A day later, he'd come back out and is lazing around his enclosure, still avoiding his hide. He hadn't deposited anything.

When I got home today, he was back in the water dish and had his head completely submerged except for his nostrils. I thought he was drowning himself because I couldn't even see his head until I saw that little black tongue flicking out.

What am I supposed to do about my rosy boa who has a love affair with his water dish? Is this a symptom of something wrong with him? Can he harm himself by doing this? I tried googling "rosy boa curling up in water dish" and only found things about ball pythons, so I need some help and advice from any experienced owners out there.

The breeder told us he is about four years old, if that helps with anything at all.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone has some tips/information/suggestions!

Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
MidgetFadeds
What are the temperatures in the warm and cool ends of your enclosure? Also, check him for mites. Snakes will soak in their water to get relief from mites. You might also check the water bowl for tiny black dots...the mites. They will also seek water to soak to help regulate their temperature if their enclosure is too hot. Rosies don't soak like that as a general rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
MidgetFadeds
If it's a temperature issue work to get one end of the enclosure between 82-88°F and the cool end below 75°F but above 70°F. I highly recommend getting a temperature gun to ensure accurate readings. Not all terrarium thermometers give true reading. Temp guns can be fairly inexpensive online. If it's mites then search these forums for how to deal with mites as there is already a great wealth of information out there that doesn't need repeating. I hope the little guy is doing well. Enjoy him, rosies are an awesome animals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!