Shipping via USPS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
scaledverts
Shipping via USPS

So, I have noticed that when a person ships a snake via USPS there is an immediate outcry about how bad of a shipping practice this is and how it can potentially hurt the industry (justifiably so, because of the legality of shipping snakes via USPS). However, why is it that shipping other reptiles and amphibians (that ARE "allowed" by USPS policy) elicits a far weaker response if any at all? I would argue that reptiles and amphibians in general should not be shipped via USPS period. It just is not reliable enough nor temperature controlled enough for shipping reptiles. I have seen BOI threads where the "bad guy" ships a non-snake reptile or amphibian through USPS and there is no outcry and people do not make a big deal out of it.

A similar argument could be made for invertebrates too I guess. Although, in my experience they fair just fine when shipped via USPS. In fact most roaches that I have received have been through USPS.

Anyway, I just thought that it would be interesting to get peoples thoughts on this subject.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Southern Wolf
Primarily because it is ILLEGAL to ship snakes via USPS and its not illegal to ship lizards or amphibians.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
FosterHerpetological
I have shipped geckos many times through USPS, and it has always arrived next day, they actually guarantee it now, and they always arrive in good condition. But, when someone gets a gecko from me, I give them the choice to ship USPS, fedex, or SYR. I give them all the options and prices, and whatever they choose is what I use.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
scaledverts
Yes, I know that (perhaps I should have used a stronger word than "allowed"). But even though it is legal, why would anyone want o risk the animal by shipping USPS? That is what I am getting at.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Yes, I know that (perhaps I should have used a stronger word than "allowed"). But even though it is legal, why would anyone want to risk the animal by shipping USPS? That is what I am getting at.

This response was in reference to the second post.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
scaledverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfconstrictors View Post
I have shipped geckos many times through USPS, and it has always arrived next day, they actually guarantee it now, and they always arrive in good condition. But, when someone gets a gecko from me, I give them the choice to ship USPS, fedex, or SYR. I give them all the options and prices, and whatever they choose is what I use.
I have actually had some bad experiences with insects being shipped next-day but taking 2 or 3 days to arrive. I guess I just worry about reptiles and amphibians because of my previous experiences with USPS.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Yes, I know that (perhaps I should have used a stronger word than "allowed"). But even though it is legal, why would anyone want o risk the animal by shipping USPS? That is what I am getting at.
You could say the same thing about shipping reptiles via any carrier...

The USPS has a very high 'on time' success rate, just about the same as UPS/FedEx, and it is significantly less expensive. I know that a lot of dart frog breeders that use USPS exclusively, and they are way more delicate in regards to temperature than almost all reptiles (some geckos are about equal).

Point is you are risking the animals life every time you put one in a box and send it out. So questioning the choice of carrier is a moot point once the issue of legality is met.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!