Shipping via USPS... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
DavidBeard
Shipping via USPS...

Having been invlved in both the arachnid and reptile hobbies for some time now, I have noticed that in one hobby (arachnids) it is perfectly acceptable to ship animals via USPS. In fact, I cannot ever recall seeing any arachnid seller offer any other shipping method.

On the other hand, it is a mortal sin to ship reptiles via the USPS. My question is, why is it ok to ship a Deathstalker scorpion via the USPS, but not a Corn Snake?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Gary O
I do not think that the USPS has any rules against insects but snakes they do. I do think you can ship some other animals via USPS.

Just like UPS and FedEx will say lizards are fine but not snakes.

lol

Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
DavidBeard
I'm pretty sure that shipping venomous animals via the USPS is not kosher.....yet it doesn't stop the whole arachnid community from doing it. I don't see the difference between a venomous arachnid and a snake, honestly....in principle, you'd think snakes (non-venomous) would be more acceptable.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
SPJ
USPS allows spiders, scorps, birds, lizards, and even certain size gators to be shipped but they have a ban against ALL snakes.

Makes no sense if you ask me.

I know what you mean about shipping arachnids. My bark scorpion came via USPS next day air with no problems.

They allow potentially dangerous things to be shipped but not something like a cornsnake. Go figure.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
hhmoore
Venomous insects are not allowed...interestingly, they don't have specific wording for spiders, or arachnids in general. They do however have a few things to say about scorpions:
Quote:
Live scorpions that are to be used for medical research or the manufacture of antivenin are accepted only in the continental surface mail when packaged in a double mailing container, both parts of which are closed or fastened to prevent escape of the scorpions. The inner container must be of material that cannot be punctured by the scorpions and must be plainly marked "Live Scorpions." Cushioning material must be used when necessary to prevent shifting of the inner container. The outer container must be strong enough to prevent crushing of the package or exposure of the contents during normal handling in the mail. The outer container must be plainly marked "Live Scorpions."
http://pe.usps.com/search/jsp/search...9&dtype=2#hit0

Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
DavidBeard
Interesting.....Why do we instantly villify people who ship snakes via USPS?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
FunkyRes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBeard
Because the occasional snake that gets loose makes the entire hobby look like we are a bad bunch of crooks with no regard for the law.

Every time a snake gets loose in shipping, it hits news everywhere. I don't think I've ever heard of a spider or scorpion getting loose during shipping. I'm sure it has happened, it just doesn't seem to make the news.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBeard
Because shipping snakes though the USPS is strictly prohibited, & violation of USPS rules is a federal offense

Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
hhmoore
taken directly from the link provided above:
9.3.3 Small Cold-Blooded Animals
Small, harmless, cold-blooded animals (except snakes and turtles)
And in another section:
b. All poisonous animals except scorpions mailed for medical research purposes or for the manufacture of antivenom; all poisonous insects; all poisonous reptiles; and all types of snakes, turtles, and spiders.
(I knew spiders were prohibited - I don't know why I couldn't find them before)

Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
DavidBeard
Well, the entire arachnid hobby is breaking federal law then....and I don't think they really care lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!