What kind is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
thaspyder69
What kind is this?

I acquired a king snake about 5 years ago and I really don't know what type he is. I was told when i got him that he was a variegated or variable king. So I left it at that. In the past few months I have been interested in doing some breeding, so I have been trying to find another king like him. I cannot find anything close to what he looks like. He is black, white, and red banded. The bands go all the way around except for the black and white belly scales. He kinda looks like an arizona or scarlet king, but not quite.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
thaspyder69
Ok, so my pic didn't post. He is in my gallery here on the site if you would like to get a look at him.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
thaspyder69
ok, I think it will show up now.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
TheFragginDragon
I think one way to tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) in this specific phase is the background color, if it's more gray than white, then it's a variable king.

Here's a link to more info on these:

http://www.applegatereptiles.com/species/thayeri.htm

Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
jlassiter
Looks like a ruthveni x thayeri cross to me.....There is no sure way to tell unless you have full lineage history though.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
D. Mong
Yeah, I agree. Looks pretty much like a ruthveni x thayeri cross to me too.......that desparately needs a waterbowl change!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
thaspyder69
I am aware of the water bowl. we were just about to change his water cause he just pooed in it when my gf decided to take the pic. Thank you for the input on what you think he is.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
thaspyder69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
I think one way to tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) in this specific phase is the background color, if it's more gray than white, then it's a variable king.

Here's a link to more info on these:

http://www.applegatereptiles.com/species/thayeri.htm
He started out with very even, crisp, and clean red, white, and black bands. As he grew, his bands changed and the white turned light grey.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaspyder69 View Post
He started out with very even, crisp, and clean red, white, and black bands. As he grew, his bands changed and the white turned light grey.
Yes, that can be very typical of many types. What J. Lassiter and I are both saying though is it is definitely not a pure thayeri, but rather a man-made cross involving thayeri. The real question is to what?. And from our many years of Lampropeltis experience of all types, it's phenotypic characteristics "look" to best represent probably be a ruthveni x thayeri cross. It is definitely a cross however.

best regards, ~Doug

Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
akonitony
Looks like a San Luis Potosi Mex-Mex to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!