Inquiry Underground Reptiles: Sick animal inquiry? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:57 AM   #11
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamnophis123 View Post
No, I have not notified Underground Reptiles. I spoke with a person who was at their facilities and told me she saw adult snakes in pretty bad shape. The babys she bought have shown signs of disease, SFD in my opinion. I'll see if she will contribute to this thread.

If a relatively big dealer is sending dangerously infected snakes all over the country its really a bigger deal than just good guy / bad guy. So I can see how some people may not want to get involved
So far, all you have posted was a receipt with no actual veterinary information about the allegedly ill snake.
And if you suspected that Underground somehow had a connection in your snake's alleged illness, how on earth could you not let them know? To me, that knowledge would be of benefit to them and their snakes if they are unaware of this disease, and as a result maybe to everyone if these allegations are true, from some brief research, the disease is of concern but details are not widely known by many.
You have made some serious allegations and so far you have only shown a vet receipt, please back your allegations up today, you can have your vet fax you info. It would be good if you could request that these vets themselves come post here giving some insight into SFD.
I have sent Underground an email letting them know of this thread.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #12
Big Borg Reptiles
To be fair, any time you buy a WC animal you're risking obtaining one with diseases or parasites. I'm not defending UR, just saying that there's a reason WC animals are substantially cheaper than CB. As someone else mentioned, this is apparently a disease that has been known to occur in wild water snakes; therefore, it should not be surprising that water snakes obtained in the wild may have this disease.

Am I saying it's right to be sold sick snakes? Not at all. But if I buy wild caught animals I do so knowing that they might need treatment and might not be in top notch health. That's just the way it is.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #13
tim brophy
Looking forward to seeing those results, as I know you will post them as soon as they become available. Also, a photograph of the diseased snake would be useful to see. SFD is still somewhat unknown to many herpetoculturists. Thanks for posting this. If this does prove to be SFD, consequences will be considerable.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
tim brophy
I now see the photos. Would also like to hear from those familiar with this disease. From what I have read, it is disastrous.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
BrooklynJoe
Just wondering why iate there so many of you taking this thread out of context of which the OP has already stated his/her intent. IF you read you will learn intent, please contribute to the thread with questions. The OP has offered some viable information and is not going in the typical "BOI good/bad guy" banter that you all enjoy. I am simply seeking to be educated on something that can potentially be effecting hobbyist,breeders, keepers of all types of reptiles. Can we keep it there, this can something that effects Underground which they need to be made aware of or that they my simply ignore. That is besides the point, moving forward let's all get educated I don't care who is responsible. I about care who can educate adding valid input.

For the OP, is this something contagious, also how are the animals behaving ?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
thamnophis123
Thank you! You are exactly right - This thread is way beyond good guy / bad guy. It isn't really even about Underground Reptiles. Its about a potential threat to our wild snakes, our captive snakes and our hobby as we understand it today.

For those who don't know, there are emerging fungal diseases that have hit salamander populations, frog populations, bat populations and now snake populations. The USFW has stopped instate trade in most salamander species in an effort to slow the spread of the deadly virus attacking that Family.

SFD has wiped out - 100% mortality - federally endangered massassauga populations in Illinois and has proven to be 40% fatal in small scale lab studies. It has no known cure.

Anyone buying, and especially selling snakes has to know what this disease looks like, or has to know if the wild caught animals (or their offspring) may have been exposed. And if we don't monitor ourselves, You can be pretty sure USFW will step in.

I've talked with Florida Fish and Conservation and they asked for any additional information I can gather. Which is why I posted here. We need to know where in the trade this disease is, and guard against it's spread.

So, if you have received animals from Underground - a elsewhere - that have developed anything like the symptoms shown in the photos I posted please post here or PM me.

Thank you -

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJoe View Post
Just wondering why iate there so many of you taking this thread out of context of which the OP has already stated his/her intent. IF you read you will learn intent, please contribute to the thread with questions. The OP has offered some viable information and is not going in the typical "BOI good/bad guy" banter that you all enjoy. I am simply seeking to be educated on something that can potentially be effecting hobbyist,breeders, keepers of all types of reptiles. Can we keep it there, this can something that effects Underground which they need to be made aware of or that they my simply ignore. That is besides the point, moving forward let's all get educated I don't care who is responsible. I about care who can educate adding valid input.

For the OP, is this something contagious, also how are the animals behaving ?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJoe View Post
I am simply seeking to be educated on something that can potentially be effecting hobbyist,breeders, keepers of all types of reptiles. Can we keep it there, this can something that effects Underground which they need to be made aware of or that they my simply ignore. That is besides the point
Early this morning, I sent a request to Matthew C. Allender, Clinical Assistant Professor, Comparative Biosciences College of Veterinary Medicine Research Affiliate, and asked him to come here and talk to us about this disease.
However, it is not besides the point to involve Underground, especially since they have been named here. Had the OP notified them earlier, they may have had more of a chance to investigate and if the situation warranted, stop shipping.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamnophis123 View Post
We need to know where in the trade this disease is, and guard against it's spread.

So, if you have received animals from Underground -
However, you have not shown that Underground is involved. You should post your proofs after repeatedly calling their name. Where is the vet report?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #19
thamnophis123
Dr Allender has a couple of papers out that explain what is known about the disease, much of it the result of work he and his lab have done. My snake's samples are at his lab as of today, they were shipped over night.

I hope I don't have to remind you that the BOI is not the center of the known universe. It seems maybe you have let that fact slip?

Attached is the receipt for the florida green water snakes I bought from Underground Reptiles this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
However, you have not shown that Underground is involved. You should post your proofs after repeatedly calling their name. Where is the vet report?
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #20
bcr229
Were the snakes outwardly healthy on arrival or did they show signs of the disease then?

If they were outwardly healthy how long did it take until symptoms appeared?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!