Considering a parakeet once again. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Shinjite
Considering a parakeet once again.

For those who may not know, a few years back I lost my precious little Peeper, a male parakeet, due to old age. Now I have decided to get another. I've studied up on them, and know more about them than when I last had one. Here is a list of supplies I have made up just now, I plan to buy them with my visa gift cards and petco gift cards I've gotten. (No animals will be bought from petco! ^_^)

1. Penn Plax Bird Bath with Universal Hanging Clips

2. Kaytee Supreme Daily Blend Parakeet Food

3. Avian Select Macramé Bird Ladder

4. Avian Select 7 Step Wooden Ladder for Small Birds
11" Height - 7 Steps

5. Prevue "Casbah" Cage (Really cool looking cage at petsmart.com, I couldn't resist it!)

6. Natural Wood Bird Perches from MAC's Creatures and Critters

7. Boodar Deluxe Swing N' Perch for Birds

8. Avian Select Flavored Cuttlebones
5" Length - Vanilla (x 3)

Is there anything else I need? The cage comes with a built in perch and water/food cups. Veggies will be purchased during grocery shopping. What veggies should I get?
Please let me know! I really want a parakeet again, and I want him to be healthy and happy. (Yes, I do have the money to buy all of the supplies myself, and the parakeet as well.) Is there anything special I should know? I'm also going to purchase a book about parakeets next time I visit petco.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Lucille
You sound like a terrific owner, I think your parakeet is going to live in luxury.
Parakeets like to bath, maybe get him a little ceramic dish to bath in rather than the hanging bath.
Just a thought, you might consider an English Budgie, I have both parakeets and a budgie and the budgie is a bit larger and to me, prettier.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Shinjite
I'll try the ceramic dish. Would a slightly large (but not too large) dish from the reptile section work? Like a ceramic bowl a bit bigger than one used for a leopard gecko...that size. Or should I get a different one?

Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Shinjite
I found a new item I could use for the parakeet. http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R...v=298&N=25+148 It's a parakeet playpen, so he can be occupied outside of the cage. (Don't worry, I'm going to have his wings clipped. So he can't fly away before I can train him)

Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Shinjite
Here's my Parakeet Check list in case anyone is interested.

Let me know if I need anything else! I think the cage has cups with it, but I'm going to buy some just in case.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Shinjite
Oops, the pic got resized. Let me post the link. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...mCheckList.jpg

Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Shinjite
I just learned that you should have grit to help the parakeets to break down food in the stomach. Can I find this in the bird section of petco or some other petstore?

Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
SPJ
I found the grit at Walmart. Same place I got the cuttlebone for my birds.

Parakeets are great. I just lost one out of the blue recently. They are very personable once you get past the biting stage LOL.

Are you getting a baby or and adult one?

I saw your list. If you are interested, I am now selling these cages. They work great and are much larger than the ones you listed. All you need to add for the birds are whatever toys you want for them. It comes with the bowls, bath, and perches.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/pp_c...?product=15064

Old 12-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Shinjite
Thanks SPJ, I'll try walmart when I get the supplies. Parakeets are great, I've had one before...but it was a trained adult who was owned by my aunt who used to breed them. She stopped breeding, so I got the male. He was very sweet! I named him Peeper, because he used to never stop "peeping" at night when I was trying to sleep. LOL! I only kept him for a year before he passed away, but my aunt had him a LONG time before that. He used to nibble on my fingers occasonally, and he used to crawl through my hair. LOL. He was the greatest. I wish I had some pictures to show you, but we didn't have a digital camera back then. About the cage, I don't think I'll be able to afford it as of right now. I think it would be easier to buy one from a store. (I found the cage I was looking for at petco when I picked up the book about budgies) Thanks for offering though! It's a very nice cage, I'm sure someone will buy it.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
SPJ
Not a problem.
I love the cage (no mess and easy to clean) so I decided to sell them as well as use them. LOL.

I was surprised by the selection of bird items at Walmart and some of the prices are a LOT cheaper than the local petstores areound here.

Make sure you post pics when you get the new parakeet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!