Keeping Pacmans on water. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:17 AM   #1
HiddenHerps
Keeping Pacmans on water.

So I have been out of the Hobby for a few years and I know techniques for keeping species will change . That being said, I'm curious about some advice given by my LPS on keeping my baby pacman.

I was told to keep it on water only and change the water every other day or if soiled. The rationale was that it would make the frog more visible and active. I was assured that most breeders have gone to water only.
It was also stated that this was a way to exercise the frogs and help prevent fatty liver and mbd.

My husband and re-researched care and could find nothing to support this besides a few asian videos of frogs being kept together in small critter keeper totes with water and absorbent pads as substrate.

We went with traditional coco fiber, shallow water dish and pothos for shelter. Is that right?

Any thoughts? Insights?opinions?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #2
HiddenHerps

Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
HiddenHerps
https://youtu.be/DPTBNJwDSds

Old 09-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
elena
I personally have only kept them the way you are currently keeping yours, but I'm not suggesting that keeping them in shallow water is incorrect. I have, however, found that pixie frogs, especially older specimens, do better in a tub of shallow water than in a terrestrial habitat. This probably better mimics their native habitat of watering holes.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
HiddenHerps
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I personally have only kept them the way you are currently keeping yours, but I'm not suggesting that keeping them in shallow water is incorrect. I have, however, found that pixie frogs, especially older specimens, do better in a tub of shallow water than in a terrestrial habitat. This probably better mimics their native habitat of watering holes.
Ahhh. I see pixies kept the exact same way as the pacmans. So it may be valid.... I have a very good relationship with my LPS so I tend to believe them but when in doubt, check it out... And I thank you for contributing!

Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
HiddenHerps
https://pin.it/q6ipnrgdcxs3dh

Old 09-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
HiddenHerps

Old 09-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
elena
Well, those look like half-grown captive specimens to me, so this method of raising them would seem to work. I think you would have to watch the cleaning very carefully to avoid toxic level of waste from accumulating. Very nice specimens!

Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
HiddenHerps
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Very nice specimens!
Beautiful aren't they!

I agree about sanitation but that's probably the reason for regular water changes. I'd like to modify this and also use the storage bins from this video for adults and grow out.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
Dyscophus antongilii
I have never raised Pyxicephalus adspersus like you and Elena described. I have only used a paludarium. The same goes for the genus Ceratophrys. I have raised both genus sucessfully with a coconut fiber substrate for the land and water feature, with small submersible filter.

In the past, I kept them the way, that, the OP has/is doing. I NEVER had any problems.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!