seeking advice & opinions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
DePatie83
Question seeking advice & opinions

Hello everyone and thanks for viewing my post. I am an avid animal lover. I was the kid always bringing home strays & helping injured wildlife. I have had various pets growing up, including snakes. Recently I have decided to make a commitment to purchase a couple baby boa's (thank you SmokyMountainReptiles) I have a male & female (both born in May) together in a 55gal tank. From my experience in keeping snakes, the two both seem to be complacent. They don't appear stressed or sick. This is the first time I've kept 2 snakes together. I know that many species prefer to be solitary, but I've read a few articles & spoken to a few breeders that said that boa's don't mind 'neighbors'...
The female had refused a couple offers (live & F/T) and had even refused a meal before she was sent to me. Last night I gently encouraged her to eat. I took a small f/t pinky, as not to stress her with a larger meal, and gently placed it into her mouth and let her take-over. I am hoping that she will willingly eat on her own next time (a few days, since she's young and also hasn't eaten in about a month I believe). So, wish me luck.
Anyway, I'd like to get some advice/tips from those of you who have more experience than myself. The more I know, the better I can take care of my babies =) since I am aware that they can live 20+ years, this is a big commitment. I want to make sure that I'm doing it right
I do not plan to house them together permanently, once they get a lil bigger, they will each have a 55gal, and once they get more to their full size, I will be building 2 custom enclosures

Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
ShadowAceD
They should not be together at all. I do not know what breeders you spoke to saying that boas "do not mind neighbors" but they are not supposed to be housed together outside of breeding. The fact you have one of them being a problem feeder kind of supports the stress factor of being forced to have a roommate. If you see boas curled around one another, they are competing for space, whichever one predominately stays atop the other is the more dominant animal and has decided it wants whatever spot the other is in.

How will you know who is defecating or passing urates properly? How will you know who is drinking water? How will you feed them without removing them from the enclosure?

Tanks are a struggle to maintain proper temperatures in humidity. Depending on their sizes, the best option is to get a strip of 3'' flexwatt, hook it up to a thermostat, and put them in Sterilite or comparable tubs (each animal in its own tub) with holes drilled into them with the flexwatt beneath the back portion of the plastic bins to provide heat. This will provide them with a safe, secure and proper environment where accurate temperature and humidity can be achieved with ease.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
DePatie83
Well, I always removed snakes to feed them, even when I only had one at a time. I was told that glass tanks didn't hold the moisture properly because of the mesh top, so I have glass covering half of the top. But I will go out and either purchase 2 custom made snake enclosures, build them myself, or get the sterilite containers you mentioned. I thought breeders did that because they weren't really concerned with space, more interested in their profit. But I was recently told that it's for moisture retention.
She had already refused food before I bough her & continued to refuse once I had her, but maybe I introduced the second snake a little too quick to know
This is why I ask. I didn't think of it as they were competing, but that's a very good suggestion. thank you

Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
ShadowAceD
Competition in boas in regards to space is subtle and not nearly as aggressive as it is in mammals, such as dogs or cats, so it is harder to pick up on the subtle cues. The other concern is that you placed another animal in with the first without proper quarantine procedure. If that second animal is carrying any internal parasites or a currently unseen disease, it can pass it on to the other one.

Most breeders care about their animals, I know I for one do. I cannot sell any animals if I do not take care of the ones I have so that they can breed. Plastic enclosures are ideal for boas, whether they be tubs for smaller animals or specially manufactured cages for adults. With just a single connection of flexwatt on a Boaphile 421D cage and a water bowl, I maintain perfect humidity and temperature for the animal in it with minimal effort.

When boa constrictors refuse to feed as babies, it is a problem, especially since they are generally indescriminate eaters. Something is either wrong internally, it is overly stressed or the enivornment is not right.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
DePatie83
I really appreciate your help
I suppose if one of the snakes are sick, it would be the first. I will separate them (regardless) and see if it helps, otherwise I will be making a veterinary appearance soon

Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Metachrosis
at the very least divide the tank with cardboard,use the end of the tank as a template and cut it edge to edge,it needs to fit tight. DO NOT USE TAPE of any kind,snakes and tape do not mix at all.
What are the temps and humidity "accurately" measured with ?
Its tuff to fast track someone thats made an impulse purchase,but it can be done
with abit of coin and diligence(action)

Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
DePatie83
Angry Ummmm... I'm not sure how to take that comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
at the very least divide the tank with cardboard,use the end of the tank as a template and cut it edge to edge,it needs to fit tight. DO NOT USE TAPE of any kind,snakes and tape do not mix at all.
Its tuff to fast track someone thats made an impulse purchase,but it can be done
It wasn't an impulse buy, and I'm not a child who's going to get bored after a month. I've owned snakes/reptiles since I was 15 (I'm 29 now). I'm admitting that it doesn't make me an expert, which is why I'm asking advice from people who have more knowledge than myself, breeders specifically. I had a 7ft boa for several years until my relationship ended & the ex took her when I kicked him out (she was technically his).
I'd like to provide a comfortable environment for all of my pets. I'd like to be knowledgeable about my snakes. So I thought it best to ask here...

Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
allreptiles1966
DONT USE TAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
I can confirm that statement of not using tape. I did use tape and the albino got wrapped up in it and i hadnt looked in the cage for 2 days. I got the wrapping tape off and then he dehydrated quickly. He got better after several soakings over time using Pedialyte. His next shed was a relief.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
hadenglock
I would try to seperate them asap, boas like to be alone in there own enclosures, another option to try for a more successful feeding would beto to try rats or larger prey item. I start baby boas on fuzzies (hoppers too) with no problems and not long after that rat crawlers. Boas like large prey items

Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Metachrosis
Its best to leave new acquisitions in solitary for a week or two and allow them to decompress from relocation stress.

Tags
boa, feeding help, housing, snake