something stinks in the for sale adds for iguanas and monitors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
TreeCroc
something stinks in the for sale adds for iguanas and monitors

I cringe at nearly 90% of the ads posted on the Monitor and Iguana classifieds.
It appears folks are obsessed with certain conditions and behaviors of their perspective charges that need addressing. A few of my favorites are below..

“Iguana / Monitor loves human interaction…total BS. Zero reptiles have human emotion, nor do they express it. Often and in many cases these captives are subjected to intense human interaction forced upon them by their owners. Since most can’t escape their cages they give in to their owners advances. Perceived as “love” and “wanting” desires conveys a terrible attribute to selling, and having perspective buyers believe this nonsense when bringing said lizard home. Careful and more importantly new / novice customers should read this as a HUGE WARNING SIGN!!

Granted, over time reptiles adjust to patterns and feeding regimes, after all their smart enough to understand YOU feed them. Mistaking this “affection” for their wanting desire to hang with you is incorrect, and something not fair to add to your sales pitch. ANY iguana or monitor living with you for the past year or so will become hell on wheels once they have been boxed, shipped, and introduced to a new environment and exposed to a new foreign “giant” wanting to hold and hang with them.

Another fav – “Monitor for sale” –common replies – “Does he / she bite / tail whip / aggressive / and all time favorite – “ he’s a 3 year old nile monitor roughly 2 feet long”

-GOOD GOD – a little clarity…

Repeating my statement above, it don’t matter how tame your captive is, once he or she is shipped their world changes and they return to a fight or flight behavior. Overtime and routine they begin to acclimate to their new surroundings, keeper, and feeding regimes.
Keep in mind this can take upwards to year or more..

Most varanids and iguanas sold here are roughly giants – meaning on average they can obtain over 4 feet as adults. Most cyclura ( Cuban / Rhino iguanas ) take a little more time to achieve their adult size, however the average monitor does not. Monitors such as Nile, Water, Black throat, and Argus can reach adult size in 3 years given the proper enclosures, environment, and diet. So be wary of quote “monitor” 2-3 years old and a fraction of their capable size as an indication of something not being right at the current keeper’s hands. Americans are lazy, I know because I’m one of them. We want instant gratitude and immediate actions. If a small majority of keepers interested in a species such as Nile monitors took a little time and investment in their captives they would realize that in a small amount of time the “giant” they want to buy now ( no hard work involved ) could be had with a little time and effort – same goes for many other giants lurking in the adds.

Also, if you’re selling a tropical lizard housed with desert species – SEEK HELP

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Millinex
True on so many levels, it's disgusting how many people advertise these animals like this. They are not dogs, they are not kittens, they are large carnivorous lizards who need a lot of space and respect, and most people who understand them don't have a clue about what a proper monitor is like.

-Mike

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
TreeCroc
Thanks Mike - I feel the more some one understands this the better they appreciate their captives, enjoy the hobby, and take the better care of their captives.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
herpgirl2510
Are you saying that I can't teach my monitor to play catch

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!