jus showin my 2ft water monitors cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
lavy&purple retics
Talking jus showin my 2ft water monitors cage

yea i jus caught a great deal on this cage all i had to do is buy the plexi glass which was only 50 dollars...only paid 150 for the huge cage off craigslist...but its not all the way done but my water monitor loves it jus the way it is the cage is 6x3x3....plenty room for him (for now) till he grows more!enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
SwampDonkey
Looks like a nice enclosure, but not quite good for a water monitor. Get as much soil as you can in there, looks like you can get away with 4-6 inches. Dump some good moss or other absorbent material on top of that and soak the whole deal. They need moisture and LOTS of it or they die from kidney failure...seriously. My first water monitor died because I liked the way astroturf and cedar bark looked. Learned the hard way. You might also want to put the lights inside the enclosure, make sure you have a 130+ degree basking area. But the important thing is that you should be dumping water in the substrate to keep it damp, not wet, just damp and warm.
Otherwise it will die. No joke. These guys are WAY different than keeping a snake.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
lavy&purple retics
thanks for the heads up will definately use ome of those tips i mist him down 3 times a day..im buying some flood lights soon becus im tired of paying 20 dollars for heat bulbs...

Old 06-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
SwampDonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavy&purple retics View Post
thanks for the heads up will definately use ome of those tips i mist him down 3 times a day..im buying some flood lights soon becus im tired of paying 20 dollars for heat bulbs...
Yeah you odnt need heat bulbs, just 65 W outdoor halogen bulbs. Just keep in mind that the deep damp soil is what keeps these guys alive. After you get the damp soil in place you wont need to mist, just dump a gallon of water on it every few days. Misting doesnt help as much as we think, my 8x4x5 enclosure goes through a gallon of water a day, theres just no way to mist that much. Its my black throats enclosure. I thaw his food out in a bucket of warm water and just dump it on his substrate after feeding. It seems like a crazy amount of water but thats what it takes. I misted my water monitor too, but he still dehydrated and died of kidney failure. Just dont make the same mistake i did

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!