nile monitor questions - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
TailsWithScales
Cover the screen top with a thick old towel or foil or even a Styrofoam sheet to help hold in humidity and heat. You want his hot spot around 130o.

I personally think that turning aggro because of live food is a myth. I haven't seen it. People have said the same with feeding live prey to Retic. But really I think it's just someone wanting to interact with the animal to soon after feeding and the animal is in food mode. Some lose food mode early some don't.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
vthefamous1v
ok and like cut holes where my lights are?? thats good to hear about the live food thing because i know he enjoys the chase....or atleast i do.

do you have a nile monitor?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
TailsWithScales
Yes cut a hole or use a towel. If you use styrofoam or something potentially flamable be sure to keep it away from the lamp. A sealed thin board like melamine works pretty good to but stick to foil or something like that as it's less work to cut and is cheaper.

Yes I currently have ......................(counting).................. four. (Have bad headache so thinking is a bit delayed). Niles are a favorite species.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
vthefamous1v
four? thats awesome! what sizes? may i see pics?? I adore niles too atleast i have always adored miles lol he lumbers around even though he is still so little XD

Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
TailsWithScales
I have to head out very soon so when I have more time I'll post some photos.

I've owned as many as 10 Niles at one time. Right now I have two in the three foot range, one 4 footer and one 5 footer. Two ornates, one true blue and one blue-ish light colored.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
vthefamous1v
which do you think mine is? as far as blue lol
he has always had such a light color

Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #17
TailsWithScales
Yours is a 'normal'. Just a locality color. It's funny in a sense that a true blue nile IS different is rare and the place in Africa they're collected from is top secret just like with the sulfur water monitors.

My Light phase locality:

True Blue. Yes he really is that bright:

High yellow ornate. In shed when photo was taken:

BIG ornate. Takes up the whole bathtub:

Old 04-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
vthefamous1v
they are all beautiful!!i love theyre faces ^_^
I like the one in the tub at the bottom lol

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
vthefamous1v
ok one more thing about miles, sometimes when i pick him up like last night i was about to give him a bath in the tub and when i picked him up he snaked his head back slowly and bit me a couple times, he doesnt do it quickly or even his he just bites.....any idea why or if he will ever stop that particular thing?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #20
TailsWithScales
Eh. That's very typical behavior. Regardless of age if a monitor doesn't want to be touched or held they're going to be more then willing to let you know any way possible. Biting is definitely one of those ways. Fear is almost always the reason for this (and others) type of defensive behavior.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!