salmonella infection? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
the gecko geek
salmonella infection?

So i know that almost all reptiles carry some type of salmonella, but I had gotten a weird question about it and figured I would ask here.

I work at a local pet store and a customer asked me if their snakes could be infected with salmonella. I personally have never heard of this before. They said their snake had diarrhea, which also had never heard of. If it is salmonella, how would they go about treating it? And how would they have gotten it in the first place. I found this very interesting and alarming, as I want to make sure I prevent my snakes from encountering it.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I was under the impression all reptiles may carry salmonella as well but I don't think it would cause the same problems (like diarrhea) as it would in humans? I really don't know...

regardless, shotgun treatments from a forum based on 3rd party descriptions are no way to treat anything. I would suggest she take it to the vet, I've never heard of a boa having diarrhea. (edit to add - except maybe from parasites? or toxic rats can cause a grey slime)

just throwing those $0.02 out there, i'm not much help today am I?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I am no expert and she should get her snakes to a vet. I do vaguely remember seeing a question somewhere about salmonella, but I think it was related to humans catching it from reptiles, not it affecting reptile health.

Re diarrhea - it may depend on the diet. When I fed day old chicks to my boas the s**t was AWFUL - smelly and almost liquid, so that may be a factor.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Link to a discussion about Salmonella in reptiles (not snakes)

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ght=salmonella

Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
the gecko geek
Lol any help is good help April. Unless you are telling someone to kill someone else or something..lol

I just figured someone out there may have experienced the same problem or is a reptile vet and knows what I'm talking about.

My first guess was a sick rodent? Although I don't think that would cause the snakes poop to be runny?
I'm not sure what to tell them. There are zero reptile vets around my town. I'm out in BFE so they are hard to come by out here..lol

Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
ShadowAceD
Snakes can get salmonella from tainted rats and mice.

It kills quickly though. Like, within a matter of days or a week or so following infection. I know someone who lost several animals due to salmonella tainted feeders a couple years back.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
the gecko geek
How do you stop the feeders from transmitting it?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
ShadowAceD
You don't. You quit using that batch.

By the time you find out, it's too late.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
the gecko geek
Well then it can't be salmonella, because they have been having this problem for almost a month and a half.

Hmmm..

Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
ShadowAceD
Lol That's kind of the point I was trying to make, but I was not as clear as I should have been.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!