need advice on problems deeders! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
ballero21
need advice on problems deeders!

ok guys,ive got 3 problem feeders that just wont eat..a baby white lipped tree viper,baby sidewinder and baby copperhead,any tips or techniques?The tree viper will kill the pinkie and just leave it,and ive tried lizards and nothing..and the other 2 pits are offered live pinkies and they have been in then cages for days..what wrong?thanks guys..

michael

Old 07-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
What are the temps?
What kind of enclosures?
New borns or new acquisitions? WC or CB?

Something I've done with problem feeders is to raise the temps about 5-7° and also put drops of B112 in the water to help stimulate the appetite. You'll have to change water daily though if you do this.

Which ssp of cerastes and Agkistrodon do you have?

Rick

Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
hhmoore
I'll go along with Rick's questions about type of enclosures, and temperatures.
Other than that - how long have you had them?
You say you have tried lizards - what kind of lizards, and for which snakes?
- a neonate Whitelipped is probably too small to eat a whole pinkie (personally, I usually just sliced pinkies lengthwise and force fed them for a few meals til they could take a whole one...but that is not an approach I recommend, lol). try appropriate lizards or treefrogs...you might want to use a slightly aggressive tease feed technique with this one (don't forget the tail)
- the sidewinder will probably be more inclined to go for small lizards (western US lizards...desert species). This is one that, for whatever reason, I never kept so I can't tell you specifically what kind. I could look it up...but then, so could you
- baby copperhead should be able to handle the pinkie, but tiny frogs can work too. teasing to provoke a strike can be very helpful - again, don't forget the tail

Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
ballero21
The sidewinder is in a 5 gal. with sand,rocks, hidebox and its about 90 degrees at the hot spot...the copper is in a 15 gal rubbermaid and temp is around 80 and the white lipped is in a 5 gal rubbermaid temp is around 80-85 with humidity...they are all CB except the southern copperhead..ill try some lizards then and see what happens..ill try lizards with all 3 i guess then huh?thanks guys..

michael

Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Tim Cole
Seems I've had this conversation...

I did answer this question in some detail on Kingsnake. I have a litter of albolabris and they are feeding fine on small adult Med Geckoes. I will switch them to pinkies shortly.

Have you tried crickets with the Copperhead?

Old 07-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Wilomn
You mention that your temps are "about" such and such.

How are you determining this? It may be that they are not at the temps you think they are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!