Survival team - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Lucille
Survival team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A survival team has to have more than firepower in order to survive, although defense is critical. Excluding children, if you had to pick a team of 10 people for long term survival, what qualities or skills or professions would you seek?

Here's my list; it is not gender specific; I decided that although all adults would be skilled in the use of firearms, there would be one person who would defend as his entire contribution to the group, being responsible for weapon upkeep and tactical ideas:

Leader
Defender
Attorney
Electrician
Plumber
Builder
Mechanic
Nurse
Cook
Farmer/Gardener

Old 04-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Wilomn
I assume you're assuming that this is a city based survival team. Because if it's in the wilderness, well, you guys will be hungry, thirsty and dead right quick like.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Lucille
There are all sorts of interesting scenarios which can be posited; and indeed according to the geographical area, the group skills would have to be altered.
I live in a suburb close to a city; and I think I was thinking of my own environment; and of a situation where some cooperative ventures with other groups would be possible.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
There are all sorts of interesting scenarios which can be posited; and indeed according to the geographical area, the group skills would have to be altered.
I live in a suburb close to a city; and I think I was thinking of my own environment; and of a situation where some cooperative ventures with other groups would be possible.
Ahhhhh, that makes sense then.

Me, I don't play well with others so I would probably go solo, trading or "borrowing" as needed, heh heh heh.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
reptilebreeder
No offense, but a survival team with a lawyer. If I'm worried about where my next meal is coming from, or being attacked by a roving party of post appocalyptic (sp?) road warriors, the last thing I need is an attorney. If we survive the attack are we going to sue them for unlawful killing or something?

Old 04-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Lucille
I think all of the group would do well to be cross trained in other skills. For instance, as well as a future attorney I am a registered nurse.

I respect the opinions of all, but to me if there is some disaster the knowledge of a good honest attorney (such as I will be) would be critical after society was stabilized if there were other groups involved in the life and future of your group.
A knowledge of law, of what has worked before in history, of legal commerce, and of checks and balances and protections to society, may help bring a structure into place; surely there will be little time to reinvent society when one needs to focus on survival; but eventually structure and interrelationships will emerge one way or another.
Just my two cents, but I think what I am learning has value.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Wilomn
I think the lawyers, or MOST of them, should be used as bait.

Of course if you're NOT out to catch maggots and such, you may be disappointed.

Should survival teams ever become a necessity I find it highly doubtful that the "legal" system will ever come into play again. I for one hope it does NOT.

I know your ideals are altruistc Lucille, but most lawyers aren't worth the effort it would take to feed them.

There would not be a lawyer on my team, were I to have one, if the sole purpose of that person was to continue a way of life that I don't hold with now.

Now, a good belly dancer, I could see LOTS of benifits to having a bevvy of them around. Just think of the trades that could be made......

Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
reptilebreeder
Well, I'm hoping in this scenario my family survives. My dad's pretty much a survivialist now, so the catagory is good.
My 2 longest held jobs, I have the most experience with are; Paramedic and Cook, so that's covered.
That just leaves, survival of the species , so my members would be........
off the top of my head;

Ali Larter
Eliza Dushku
Mira Sorvino
Gina Gershon
Amanda Peet
Kate Beckinsale
Sophie Marceau
Pheobe Cates
Neve Cambell
Eva Mendez
there's others, just can't remember them now.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Lucille
Wes I do not think lawyers (especially honest, serious, ethical ones, that are in the field because they want to use their lives to make a positive difference for others) should be used as bait. Do you and John undervalue social systems? (Actually I know you don't; and that you are excellent thinkers, but am trying to draw out of y'all what sort of system you will put in place, or if you have given any thought at all to that part of establishing a new society).
Of course you COULD just go with the belly dancers and harems, at least you will die happy....

Old 04-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
DAND
I'd pick 10 either Special Forces Soldiers or Navy Seals or a combination of. Of the 10 one would have Medical knowledge and another would have Mechanical. Since I have electrical, plumbing, building, cooking and gardening knowledge, the rest would just have to learn and or follow instructions as we go. Having all 10 being of elite military status, the other groups that would rather take from others than do for themselves (which if this scenario was to actually occur there would definitely groups like these) will not be a problem for my group.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!