Rude buyers - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
charmer
Seems normal...

Seems normal now to have more folks contact you, and even ask you to hold an animal "payment is on it's way", than folks that are actually serious! It drives me up the wall, especially when I email them specifically to ask them to just let me know if they've changed their minds and don't hear back from them. I figure it will make me a better person somehow...
Hey Kitt! Your gals are looking good! #9 is about to have her second shed... hows the weather there?
Stephanie Siebert

Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #22
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerekC View Post
I can say this one last thing. It is very frustrating to do all the work and someone doesn't have the respect to answer or call you back. But people will be people and we have to find ways around those who irritate us to the point of frustration. No easy way around this, but I am working on it. LOL

Like I said before, I have come to expect it. What I find even more frustrating is when people come in and say they want an entire setup, I spend the time to go through the whole thing, what size, what accessories etc. etc, give them a written quote and then they take the quote to the next store, ask for their best price, if its lower they take it (I have no problem with that) if its not they say "can you match this price" they store says sure and they make the sale after I did all the work. That's what irritates me.

When I go in for a quote on anything I say "I'm shopping around and you will have one chance to sell me this. Give me your absolute best price. If it's the lowest price I'll be back. If it's not, I won't be back" To be honest, if I find a better price I probably won't call them back and tell them. They had their chance and they didn't have what it took to get the deal done. Also, I don't call them back because 9 times out of 10 If I do and I tell them I found a better price they will say they can match it. That is what p****S me off more than anything. When I left your store you said you were giving me the best price you could, now you are telling me you lied to me. Sorry, you won't ever get any business from me ever.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #23
mxracer4life
It's nice to know there are other people out there that feel my pain. Unfortunately it is part of life, I think I have accepted this.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
Nirvana
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmer View Post
Seems normal now to have more folks contact you, and even ask you to hold an animal "payment is on it's way", than folks that are actually serious! It drives me up the wall, especially when I email them specifically to ask them to just let me know if they've changed their minds and don't hear back from them. I figure it will make me a better person somehow...
Hey Kitt! Your gals are looking good! #9 is about to have her second shed... hows the weather there?
Stephanie Siebert
Thank goodness I haven't had that happen too often -- only once or twice have I had people ask to hold animals, or who started to really seemingly commit to a deal and then back out. (Actually Stephanie, two of your bloods here were "sold" to a guy quite for some time before he stopped contacting me and I put them back up for sale He was supposedly building me a rat rack for them, and kept sending me updates on it ... One day the updates just quit, and he quit responding to PMs. Guess he must've decided to keep it and not bother informing me. Ohhh well.)

Usually though, for me it's just inquiries that go nowhere ... Only a few wasted clicks and keystrokes I guess, but still sort of disheartening in a way.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #25
charmer
Geez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Thank goodness I haven't had that happen too often -- only once or twice have I had people ask to hold animals, or who started to really seemingly commit to a deal and then back out. (Actually Stephanie, two of your bloods here were "sold" to a guy quite for some time before he stopped contacting me and I put them back up for sale He was supposedly building me a rat rack for them, and kept sending me updates on it ... One day the updates just quit, and he quit responding to PMs. Guess he must've decided to keep it and not bother informing me. Ohhh well.)

Usually though, for me it's just inquiries that go nowhere ... Only a few wasted clicks and keystrokes I guess, but still sort of disheartening in a way.
That is really out there and I thought mine was irritating! The guy emailed me several times, asked for a quote, eventually said he was sending a MO as deposit in the mail, Priority, and that I'd get it on a Tuesday. I kept in touch and let him know it hadn't arrived Tuesday in case he was worried and that it was no big deal. He even responded to that, said I'd probably get it Wednesday. It never showed and from then on... I just never heard from him again, even after a couple emails from me. Yeah, I guess it is more likely than not these days in business, but this is a nice place to vent!

I can't imagine asking someone to hold an animal, going through the trouble of sending pictures of product or receiving them, repeatedly, and then just vanishing. I've always been up front in all my dealings, even if I felt horrible doing it, I'd at least let them know I changed my mind. Obviously, most folks aren't that forthcoming in their intentions.

Lucky for me that fellow backed out! I can't wait until weather is nicer where you are! I shipped out my first packages for the season last week and this week now that the weather here is decent enough to do so. So far so good! I am saving a special insulated box, that I got one of my recent additions in, for your boas when the time comes, since your temps are so much lower than mine.. better safe than sorry!

Here's to the folks that are honest in their dealings and courteous enough to notify sellers of their intentions- Cheers!!

Stephanie Siebert

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Yes it is. I've been getting a few lately that think shipping should be free on a $75 animal. Well, actually the animal is worth double that, but when you need them to go.

But yer right, a few clicks, maybe a call or two...what can you do.

Invent a phone that allows you to reach through and throttle them. I think a lot of us would be happy with one of them. LOL

Old 03-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
Hoggyowner
Not to be annoying, but I think that no seller should blame a buyer. I think it shows good service when you are nice to a buyer even if he is really rude. I recently had to talk to a seller telling him that he was annoying me and I didn't like it (was pretty nasty because it repeated myself a lot). I think you will find buyers who are mean and maybe a little weird but you can not get angry at them. I know this may totally be off-topic but this is sort of a annoying thread because a seller should never get angry. Buyers will be rude... there are customers who are nice and some who are plain nasty. It goes on in the business world and every other environment. I can see how you may get angry but you don't choose the buyer they choose you. The buyer can be plain nasty and you can could stop the deal or keeping going knowing the buyer is going to be a good caretaker and he will give you the money. I am not trying to be a pest but I just wanted to put that out there.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
Hoggyowner
I think this is a little different but that last post still stands. I think that is annoying when they back out and you can get annoyed but really it is up to the buyer. It is not like he scammed. If he will buy in the end thats all you should care about.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #29
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggyowner View Post
Not to be annoying, but I think that no seller should blame a buyer. I think it shows good service when you are nice to a buyer even if he is really rude.
I guess we see things a bit differently. Buyer, seller, friend or enemy, you won't just disrespect me, or crap on me, or yell and cuss at me for no reason, and get away with it. My tail just ain't that good at tucking between my legs.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree somewhat, and I talk to all of them with respect, even when I know they are going to back out or lead nowhere at all. But get nasty with me for no reason, and you'll receive some of the same in return. An eye for an eye.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #30
charmer
Courtesy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggyowner View Post
Not to be annoying, but I think that no seller should blame a buyer. I think it shows good service when you are nice to a buyer even if he is really rude. I recently had to talk to a seller telling him that he was annoying me and I didn't like it (was pretty nasty because it repeated myself a lot). I think you will find buyers who are mean and maybe a little weird but you can not get angry at them. I know this may totally be off-topic but this is sort of a annoying thread because a seller should never get angry. Buyers will be rude... there are customers who are nice and some who are plain nasty. It goes on in the business world and every other environment. I can see how you may get angry but you don't choose the buyer they choose you. The buyer can be plain nasty and you can could stop the deal or keeping going knowing the buyer is going to be a good caretaker and he will give you the money. I am not trying to be a pest but I just wanted to put that out there.
As a buyer and seller, as most of us are who are posting, we would all agree that in most respects that the customer does, as you also say, come first and has every right to back out... but is it so wrong to expect a little courtesy??
Although it will happen and is definitely something you'll experience in business, every business whether it be an average retail store or a reptile business, has a right to refuse service to a (potential) customer who is unable to present themselves as a halfway decent person in general or in our cases, a less-than capable animal owner (especially us in the live product business!) I offer every opportunity to a potential buyer, if they back out, no big deal. The folks that say they are a 'sure thing' and don't have the courtesy to send me four words "I'm not interested anymore" after I've given them everything they've asked for, irritating and sometimes worth venting about... but still, no big deal. I'd say the more a buyer yanks your chain and even asks you to hold an animal (that may have sold in the length of time you've been humoring them), when they have no intention of going through with the purchase from the get-go and are aware of it, the more dishonest and unworthy of your business they are. A seller has every right to be angry or disappointed, but that doesn't mean attacking or otherwise antagonistic reiteration. Therefore, this thread and the fact that it allows folks with negative experiences the opportunity to express how they feel, and POSSIBLY educate folks on how to be more thoughtful, honest and courteous when backing out of a deal, is much better than unleashing anger toward the customer who in some cases, may actually deserve it.
This is, of course, my opinion. I personally have never attacked a customer verbally for rudeness. I always send one or two polite reminders and, after I realize they are just too chicken to be honest with me about whatever reason they are backing out of the sale, I move on. This is not a single occurrence at all, look at how many folks were able to chime in. I'd say this thread has served its purpose even if it annoys a few who disagree. Better than posting an unnecessary bad guy thread on someone!
Stephanie Siebert

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!