first rule of business - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-23-2002, 12:41 PM   #21
The BoidSmith
Quote:
An honest mistake? Maybe.
Neil,

That's why I phrased it that way. It may be an honest mistake. But when someone states in his add that an heterozygous for a morph is a CB it doesn't look very professional. An heterozygous has to be a CB. Do you get my point?

Old 11-23-2002, 01:33 PM   #22
jdg
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamBlock
First let's remember one key point.  The age range of 28 to 128 all have the same common factor.  A lack of computers in our youth, schools and education.  There are many great sites out there made by 13 year olds.  On the flip side some of the best breeders have either no site or a fairly poor site.
I have something to say on this point. If someone is running a business (either a side business or as their main enterprise) and they are dependent on internet sales, they need to make the effort to have a solid website! I can't even count the number of webpages I have tried to look at in a search for reptiles where I literally can not read the content - it simply does not show up because of programming errors. In most cases, the text will show up if I use Netscape/Mozilla or IE, but not the lesser-known browsers. I've also come across tons of websites that are usable only with a good deal of work on my part - all because someone didn't program the JavaScript correctly. Any decent website will be viewable in any browser, that should just be basic.

There is a simple solution to not being able to put together a solid website yourself: Hire someone!

I know that for someone who sells the occassional animal, a professionally done website may be out of reach. But for someone who sells animals online regularly? I asked a couple of quick questions of my husband (who is a programmer/web designer) and got confirmation that a basic website for a small business would start at about $300 and a more complex one would be about 3-4 times that cost.

I'm not going to say that everyone in this business can afford that - I've seen plenty of people say that if you are going to get into the reptile business, you better be plenty prepared to lose money. But I will say this: I don't care how good your references are, if I can't manage to navigate my way through your site - with a minimum of hassle - you've lost my business before you ever had it. Might it not be worth the investment in presentation?

And here's my disclaimer: I do not have an internet business of any type. I am simply a reptile-loving pet owner who is comfortable conducting lots of my business online.

Old 11-23-2002, 02:09 PM   #23
Gary Walsch
Well as of this moment I don't have a website and the funny thing is I have sold all I produced this year with only doing one reptile show the whole year ( at that show I was helping someone else and was not selling my own animals ) . I would very much like a website to make things easier for potential customers, mainly people who are shopping for different animals for future puchases. It obviously makes you appear to be more of a " Professional " and gives "NEW" customers an easier way of getting to know who you are and what you breed/sell, etc. . But to be honest I don't know if I really need one yet as I am still a little fish in a big pond. I have to admit that getting started and putting up a website kind of makes me nervous especially as far as changes and udates are concerned since I am not exactly a computer genius or anything. But I think I am getting off the topic here so enough of this. I do agree with Alvaro though that when something is so obvious and the person selling places that obvious information in the ad it always looks funny. It doesn'y always give me loads of confidence in dealing with that person , that's for sure.

Gary

Old 11-23-2002, 03:14 PM   #24
jdg
I'll clarify: I was aiming my last post at those who do a good part of their business through their websites. For those who sell all their animals through other methods (referrals, print ads, shows, etc.), there is obviously little or no reason to have a website. And there's easily no reason to go to the expense of having a site professionally done.

But I have come across sites by people who appear to do a majority of their business online and whose websites still have the aforementioned flaws. I have looked at classified ads that refer me to someone's website for details and pictures and I can get neither of those things from the site because the site is too messy to find anything. For those who use the internet as a main part of their business, their website is how they present themselves and I feel they should make every effort to make that first impression a good one.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:44 PM   #25
Gary Walsch
I understood Jackie it's just I was responding based on my particular situation, but I think you were clear in your posting earlier. I actually sell about 90% over the net but I am still a little fish ........

Gary

Old 11-24-2002, 11:16 PM   #26
sschind
I think that another important key to having a successful website is to update it often and at least make some superficial changes. Even if you don't change the content much at least change the "last updated" date every month. If I go to a website and find it hasn't been changed in 6 months I doubt if I will go back. If it is a site that interests me, I may check back in a onth or two but if nothing is updated, I doubt if I will check back.

I've checked out several websites that hadn't been updated for 2 -3 months and get replies that the items are sold out. thats the best way to lose my business.

Thats also one of the reasons I don't have a website right now. I know me, I won't keep it updated, or fresh and people will lose interest.

Steve Schindler

Old 11-25-2002, 12:59 AM   #27
Gary Walsch
I agree with you Steve. I know I get busy and it makes me wonder if that is something I can keep up with. Like I said in an earlier post I am no computer genius and I am not really sure if updates are something I would be doing or someone else would be doing, then of course your dependant on someone else, which I am not comfortable with anyway.

Gary

Old 11-25-2002, 07:41 AM   #28
Neil Gubitz
If you're going to have a website, you had BETTER update it EVERY TIME you either sell an animal or get a new one in! That's why MY website is very simple! ONE PAGE, that's it! The SECOND I get something in or out, it goes on the site as either SOLD or NEW! Click on any of my banners and see for yourself?? Or click the link in my "Signature".... if you don't keep it updated.... what good is it?? I agree.... if I go to a site that I know there have been animals sold, and it still shows that animal.... I will RARELY go back to it....

But, Gary.... YOU?.... a *SMALL* fish??? Have you looked in the MIRROR lately??.... Small for a Killer Whale, maybe???.... lmao

....Neil

Old 11-25-2002, 08:36 AM   #29
Gary Walsch
Neil,

I would say more like a pilot whale ........... Jeeeez! What are you trying to do ? Make a guy feel bad ? Manatee ... OK, Small inflatable flotation craft .... OK , But a KILLER WHALE ? Neil your a very bad man.

Gary

LMAO

Old 11-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #30
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Agreed...

I simply cannot tolerate the horrible spelling and grammar in alot of the ads out there. I am definitely not the best as far as grammar is concerned and I make my mistakes, too. But the mistakes that people out there make in their "professional" ads is insane and inexcusable. If you cannot even properly spell the COMMON name of the animal you're selling, what on earth are you doing with it(I can forgive misspelling some of the Latin names as they can be tough)? Really, if you don't know how to spell BURMESE or even PYTHON, you need a new hobby. And also, how many people out there can't understand the difference between STRIPED(an animal with a striped pattern) and STRIPPED(a naked animal? And the difference between YOUR(as in possessed by you) versus YOU'RE(you are)? I mean, COME ON people! Did that many people out there just plain SKIP second and third grade english classes? Grammatical errors I'm more lenient on than spelling simply because the format of most ads out there don't exactly conform to perfect grammar(1.1 Burmese Pythons For Sale isn't exactly a sentence, but it gets the message across okay).

And yes, I will attest to the fact that there are many great people out there who couldn't spell to save their lives and I've done business with many like that...IN PERSON or OVER THE PHONE. Ads I see that have more than a couple of obviously just fat-fingered mistakes will get completely looked over. I can tolerate the occasional oopsie, but not an entire ad full of them and I don't feel I can trust that the animal they are selling is honestly represented if you can't even spell PYTHON. If you choose a medium such as the internet where you have NO choice but to TYPE and SPELL OUT your ad(s) and you can't spell or read properly, PLEASE at the very least learn or have someone else who CAN do it for you. If you are selling something online even if it is just one snake or lizard, you need to be professional about it to be taken seriously.

Cheers!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!