Hatchling sand boa not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
Krynn
Hatchling sand boa not eating

My friend purchased two hatchling sand boas last month, a male and a female. The male ate once, the female never ate. The female died earlier today and he is worried that if he can't get the male to eat again then he will die as well. He has been offering pinkies every week. He started with frozen, then switched to live. They were offered the food in separate feeding containers. he has tried cutting the pinkies to help entice them. Nothing really has worked.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
HerpVenue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
They were offered the food in separate feeding containers.
the words used tells me they were housed together.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Krynn
Yes they were. The breeder told him that sand boas are alright to house together.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
Yes they were. The breeder told him that sand boas are alright to house together.
Did the breeder make any recommendations about getting them to eat?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Krynn
The breeder said my friend shouldn't worry too much since snakes are known for going periods of time without eating.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
QQQSSSI
I have a little sand boa that I've had trouble getting to eat regularly. So far I've found two things: if it is dark and the sand boa is actually out and exploring, waving a pinky in front of her will induce a feeding response. Otherwise, a separate feeding container has worked, but ONLY if there is a thin layer of substrate also in the container with her. Otherwise she spends the entire time trying to escape the container and/or a place to hide instead of actually eating the pinky. With some layer of cover she will then actually notice the food is there and then eat it. Just be mindful of potential impaction issues.

My older anery sand boa has changed eating habits dramatically over the past 2 years. At first he would take food from my hand, then he would eat from a feeding container. Now he only eats if I put the food in his cage with him overnight.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
Justin Bagby
Is it a kenyan (Gongylophis colubrinus)? What temps is it being kept at?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!