ARRGHH!! My blue Tongue won't eat!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Logan Rad
ARRGHH!! My blue Tongue won't eat!!!!

I just purchased a BTS about 4 days ago. He is very handleable and sweet. He's on Aspen shavings and in a Forty Gallon critter cage. temp is about 100 degrees on the hot side.....But he will not eatk anything! I've tried greens, bananas, grapes, squash, and cat food and nothing....I got him from a lady who fed him nothing but catfood. Any advice would be appreciated....

Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
Hmm...sounds pretty unusual behavior for a BTS. Your set-up sounds fine (nearly identical to what I have for my own BTS) and the species is famous for eating practically anything.

From what Ive read, BTS, while omnivorous, lean a little more on the carnivorous side. Perhaps lay off on the fruits, and try offering live insects (like superworms or waxworms) or perhaps some raw egg heated up in the micro for about 20 secs. I normally dont suggest eggs as part of the routine diet; this is just to get him interested in eating. Then, if that yields good results, try moving toward canned monitor food, and more vegetation in his diet. You can even offer a pinky mouse or pinky rat on occasion.

It is also possible that your skink is still adjusting to his new environment. Many adult BTS may not eat daily anyway. Make sure he has a couple hiding shelters in his cage as well (I know they can burrow well in aspen, but extra hides will definitely provide extra security). Just give him some time, ease up on regular handling for now, and see what happens. As long as he has good body weight, and looks healthy, he could probably go a week or two before eating if he absolutely wanted to (not suggesting you only feed him that often; only making a point that he could survive that long).

Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
lpcad
I don't know a whole lot about blue tongue skinks, but from what I know they do lean toward the carnivorous/insectivorous side. I agree with Michael, maybe you should try live prey and/or give him time to adjust.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
pgwdragons
Heres a few of my personal suggestions on what you could try to feed him to get him to eat.

Live :
Superworms
Pinky Mice
WaxWorms
Hornworms

Misc:

Mango
Baby Food "fruit mix"
Mustard Greens
Tegu/Monitor Canned Food -they seem to really dig this, and Ive had great luck w/ it with fussy eaters-

hope that helps a little atleast!!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Logan Rad
According to what I've been able to learn, I beleive he is Brumating and I won't have an Active Skink for a few months.

The prior owner let him go without heat for a while. Thanks

Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
HerpsinIN
It took one of my bts several months before she would eat for me. She went into brumation right when I got her and wouldnt eat for a month or so after she came out of brumation.

Many BTS dont handle change well. They will usually go off feed for a week or two when you first bring them home. But like you said, this is the time of year they go into brumation as well.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
WIguy
www.bluetongueskinks.net is the place you want to be. they have the most comprehensive care sheet i have ever seen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!