Devon Thies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
devonthies77
Devon Thies

Hi. I'm new to this group and was recommended it because I am soon to be moving from the U.K. to the U.S.A. I am originally from the states, but have lived her for 6 years. I am exporting 2 of my boa's to the states, and was looking for help on how you heat vivs over there....where to get supplies from....etc. etc. Any help will be appreciated. It's like starting all over with contacts and suppliers. sheesh

Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
JCCS
Usually we either heat with flexwatt heat tape or radiant heat panels, depending on the type of cage. Either one can be found at www.reptilebasics.com They are an awesome dealer. Welcome back and I hope you get your boas here safely.

Chris

Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
devonthies77
Thank you Chris. Through out the course of this day I was led to reptilebasics.com Thank you for your reply. Won't be for awhile, but I am looking forward to getting back. Better weather ha ha ha. Also looking forward to the great selection of locality boa's in the U.S. I have had to sell a few of mine on here as I just can not afford to take them all with me. I am bringing my sunglow pastel, and a wildtype male bci. Can't wait to get involved in the reptile community there.

Devon

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Metachrosis
BeanFarm.com

Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
suzuki4life
pro-products or helix for heat panels. The plastic housing RBI panels are junk by comparison.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
devonthies77
Thanks all any more information or even website links will help.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
pro-products or helix for heat panels. The plastic housing RBI panels are junk by comparison.

The housing on the RBI panels is ABS plastic and very durable, flush mount housings. I've got several that have been in use for several years, since before they were officially on the market.
In my opinion, they are a superior product to the Pro Products panels which are apparently manufactured by Enerjoy, or else they are an exact copy of their panels originally manufactured for use as leg warmers under office desks and various other purposes having nothing at all to do with reptile cage heating. Even if the performance of the panels is equal, the flush mount and inclusion of a pilot light to show when it is heating are nice additions that make it a preferable product.

The other brands of panels may be fine if that's what one prefers, but to say the RBI panels are junk is nothing more than an uninformed and inaccurate opinion.
None of the three brands deserve to be labeled as junk, they are merely different and to be chosen between based on one's preference.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
suzuki4life
2 boaphile 421d with rbi 40w panels in them equated to 2 boaphile 421d's with melted and warped tops due to the amount of heat being transfered up due to the design and housing of the rbi panels.

1 boaphile 421d with 40w pro products panel installed
1 neodesha 48"x30"x18" custom cage with helix 109w panel installed
1 generic no name thin walled pvc cage with 60w pro prodcuts panel installed
1 vision v221 with 30w pro products panel installed.

NONE, of these cages have similar damage resulting from their panels as the rbi equipped boaphiles did. The tops of these cages did not get anywhere near the temps as the boaphiles with the rbi panels installed did. The installs on all cages were similar. I even used a 120w rbi panel in a cattle trough mounted 2" from a plywood top. I used the area above the lid to heat my roach bin because so much heat was tranferred through the 1/2" plywood.

Rbi panels do not compare to the metal housing radiant heat panels and in my opinion are junk.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
heating