Mac Users: OS X Lion - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
SERPENTS DEN
Mac Users: OS X Lion

Apple finally released it's new operating system...yay

I'm downloading it now and can't wait to give it a test drive.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Number of Hard Drives 2 x 1TB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007E.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11
Serial Number (system): SM0690DNEUE
Serial Number (processor tray): J5344013CUMJB
Hardware UUID: 8D1DC7FF-ED3B-5453-909D-24C729F1791D

Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
aleria
I was happy to see they finally released it as some sites were talking about it being pushed back till the end of the month.

I got it installed on my macbook this morning and will get to try it out when I get home tonight. I love their idea of OS upgrades. Basically a new OS for the price of an update.

I might get around to hooking my hackintosh back up and trying it out on their too since they are apparently encouraging people to install it on all their macs without having to purchase it separately for each one.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
SERPENTS DEN
I'm really liking this new OS, I was amazed on how much quicker it is than Snow Leopard.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
aleria
Oh yes, another big leap forward. And all these new gestures are definitely something to get used to. I use a magic mouse so I didn't think many of the gestures would apply there, I thought it was strictly for the track pad users, but I see many of them work with the magic mouse also.

What do you think about launchpad? I've seen many people say they have already stopped using the dock entirely and simply use launch pad with gestures or a hot corner to access all of their apps. I'm thinking of doing the same since it would be nice to free up a little more screen real estate getting rid of the dock.

Mission control is also a pretty big improvement upon expose. I know I use expose constantly and always laugh at myself when I get to work and try to use hot corners to access it on my windows machine and realize I'm on windows.

Thus far the only compatibility issue I've run across is when using LogMeIn, which is the remote software I use to access my systems while I'm at work. So hopefully they get it fixed soon or I'll just have to find another temporary solution.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
SERPENTS DEN
I use a magic mouse too but I'm going to order a track pad iso I can lean back without having to extend my arm out to use a mouse...lol

The launchpad is cool, pretty much like using an iPad though I like using the dock for my most frequently used apps.

Mission Control was also a nice improvement over Expose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleria View Post
Oh yes, another big leap forward. And all these new gestures are definitely something to get used to. I use a magic mouse so I didn't think many of the gestures would apply there, I thought it was strictly for the track pad users, but I see many of them work with the magic mouse also.

What do you think about launchpad? I've seen many people say they have already stopped using the dock entirely and simply use launch pad with gestures or a hot corner to access all of their apps. I'm thinking of doing the same since it would be nice to free up a little more screen real estate getting rid of the dock.

Mission control is also a pretty big improvement upon expose. I know I use expose constantly and always laugh at myself when I get to work and try to use hot corners to access it on my windows machine and realize I'm on windows.

Thus far the only compatibility issue I've run across is when using LogMeIn, which is the remote software I use to access my systems while I'm at work. So hopefully they get it fixed soon or I'll just have to find another temporary solution.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
HeatherN
i just put lion on my laptop, and it resembles my iPads a lot more, but yeah, I'm loving all the new features, including launchpad

Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Plethora Of Pythons LLC
I loaded it and like it. However, I was running Office 2004 on my Mac and it is not compatible with Lion, so I had to buy a new Office suite to keep working. Wish I would have known that. That $30 upgrade cost me over $200!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadiver View Post
I loaded it and like it. However, I was running Office 2004 on my Mac and it is not compatible with Lion, so I had to buy a new Office suite to keep working. Wish I would have known that. That $30 upgrade cost me over $200!

But you have to admit the new MS Office Suite is a lice improvement from your old 2004 version.

Need a better calculator? http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8065/koalacalc

Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Plethora Of Pythons LLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERPENTS DEN View Post
But you have to admit the new MS Office Suite is a lice improvement from your old 2004 version.

Need a better calculator? http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8065/koalacalc
Yes, it is a very nice improvement, but the upgrade blackout of my software caught me off guard and I had to scramble to get to some spreadsheets and documents. Now that both my operating system and Office suite are up-to-date, I'm happy! I still have a PC in the house, but I think I'll eventually convert everything over to Mac.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
aleria
One good thing to keep in mind for anyone moving between windows and mac or using microsoft software on a mac is that a program like Open Office can be very helpful when running into compatibility problems.

It is a free office suite for all operating systems that fully support all microsoft and other common file types. For those that prefer microsoft products but find the price a bit steep it is helpful to have something like Open Office to use in the interim until they can fork over that kind of cash or find a better deal for the more expensive software.

After the first year I actually ended up getting rid of the bulky and expensive microsoft office on my macs and stuck with open office, haven't had any issues since the switch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
apple