Hey im new here and have a question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-11-2004, 03:10 AM   #1
Hurricane
Hey im new here and have a question

Hey guys, i just joined here. Ive had sanke experience for about 2 years. It was a Ball Python that i bought from petco (i knew i shouldve have done it, he had some kind of disease that i found about about 3 months later cant remember quite what it was), i had studied and studied and studied and did everything i could to help the little guy, but i took him to the vet and then he died overnight , alright so i wasnt crying but still, it sucked. So ive had some experience with snakes and the bp was really easy to take care of.

Now for my question... What would be a good beginner boa for me? im sure a million people have asked this before, but can you spare me and tell me please? lol thanks.

Ive been looking at Peruvian red Tailed boas i think you guys callem BCI? you guys think hed be to big/to hard to take care of? thanks.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
snakekid13
My first boa was a rosy boa and it was a good beginner boa small, hardy and strong feeders so i think that would be the way to go. Just my advice if u want something bigger the colombians are pretty easy to take care of but get pretty big.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
I'm pretty sure Peruvians are BCC, and a bit harder than BCI to care for. I wouldn't recommend a BCI, nor a BCC for a new snake keeper. They do get big, and some can have nasty temperments. Rosy boas and sand boas are good, but they don't have the classic 'boa' look to them.

I would find a breeder that you trust and buy another BP if I were you, as you already have the cage and stuff to properly care for one.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Hurricane
I dont have the cage anymore, it was about a year ago that he died.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
jenn_jeffery
Then how much space do you have? What size cage can you afford, and can you afford rabbits (in several years) to feed?

Seriously, boas aren't for everyone, if you don't have anyone to help handle it in a few years when it's larger (or someone who can get it off of you should it start squeezing) then don't go for a boa...

Old 09-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
Hurricane
Ive gota big enough space to fit an 8 foot vision cage and ive got about $600 to spend. and im a pretty big guy, 6'2 220 lbs.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
DThomas
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
and im a pretty big guy, 6'2 220 lbs.
That means nothing to an 8ft Boa wrapping itself around your arm when it doesn't want to go back in it's enclosure. I am by no means a weakling but I can have a difficult time trying to do it by myself, (for the others: don't worry, someone else is always in the house), and usually need my wife's help to put them back. These animals can get very big and are extremely powerful as adults. Just something to keep in mind.

Now to answer your question. IMO, a good starter Boa, notice I did not say snake, would be a Colombian Boa, BCI. They are much more forgiving with husbandry mistakes and tend to have a mild disposition if handled often.

But again, keep in mind, they do get very large and can severely injure a person if not treated with the respect they deserve.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Hurricane
Yeah hed definatly get the respect he deserves. Ive thought this through and i know they get pretty big, ive always known that and has always been a factor when thinking about buying a boa, i know they are small to start out and get huge. so the Columbians are pretty docile when handled enough?

Old 09-11-2004, 05:37 PM   #9
DThomas
Yup, some of my biggest are also my most docile. They tend to mellow out with age. I've actually never been bitten by an adult Boa, just young ones. (Now that I've said that, off to go get bit cleaning the adult boas' enclosures..lol)

Old 09-11-2004, 07:47 PM   #10
Hurricane
Lol, how big are their pieces of poop anyways? huge im guessing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!