West Africa Buyer?? Ever heard of them or this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
Asuncion7
West Africa Buyer?? Ever heard of them or this?

I received an email today from someone named Pat syntia who claims they are from West Africa. They want to buy my recent clutch of normal baby beardies. But, it sounds a little weird. I told them I don't ship internationally, they replied stating they had a "shipping agent" here who could come pick them up. I told he/she that if they could send a Non-credit card paypal and pick up after my hubby was home, fine. WELL, they said they want to pay with a cashier's check. I said no, only Non-credit card paypal, just like my ad states. Well i haven't heard back yet, but want to know if anyone has ever heard of this.

I am assuming it is a scam, but want to make sure...

Old 05-13-2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Dragondad
If you check deeper in the treads you will find a discussion about something similar. They will send you a cashiers check for thousands of dollars and you have to pay someone off with the difference. The check turns out to be counterfeit. That may not be exactly what happens but you get the gist of the scam.

Stick to the paypal and be safe.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:03 PM   #3
Asuncion7
Stop! West African Buyer

I remembered something like that, but when I did a search I didn't come up with anything, although I just searched for the name and west africa... He/she hasn't offered more money than what they are worth, just some "shipping agent" and a cashier's check. They were replying quickly before, but not so quick now...

Old 05-13-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
Darin Chappell
It is indeed a scam! What they do is get you to sell them the animals, and they pay you with a falsified cashier's check. By the time the bank is able to discover the falshood, the "buyer" is long gone. Presumably, the seller is protected from a position of ignorance, but that is not a position I would like to defend in court, given all of the documentation about such fraudulent email scams. Furthermore, no one ever knows what actually happens to the animals!!!

"Stay away from them!" Would be my advice!

Old 05-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
Gecko_Den
Here's a little light reading..

West Africa Scam

Old 05-13-2003, 03:16 PM   #6
Dragondad
Went back and did some digging. Here is at least one of the threads.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=15685

Old 05-13-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
Gecko_Den
link was busted

West Africa Scam take 2

Old 05-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #8
Asuncion7
Sheesh!

Isn't it amazing, although nothing ceases to amaze me recently! I'm such a small potato wonder why they chose me, should I feel honored???

Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #9
Robin OBrien
Every time I put an ad up for any kind of animal, reptile or mammal I get an e-mail from them. I am assuming they are sending these offers to many people, and someone must be falling for the scam or they would have given up by now. I do not even reply anymore, and they do not persist........Robin O'Brien

Old 05-14-2003, 07:37 AM   #10
TheVipersHouse
west africa scam

WELL THE SEARCH U NEED TO DO IS THIS TITLE - POSSIBLE SCAM / THAT IS THE THREAD YOUR LOOKING FOR AND NO I WOULDNT FEEL TO HONORED THEY ARE DOING IT TO EVERYONE BUT DO A SEARCH FOR / POSSIBLE SCAM THAT WILL GIVE U ALL THE INFO U NEED

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!