good beginner venomous snake - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2004, 08:56 PM   #101
Mustangrde1
Breeding her is an excellant Idea. We will do that for sure.

Tanith um got any pictures of that monsterous beautiful king of yours?

Old 05-12-2004, 09:00 PM   #102
snakegetters
Taking photos of my male king is somewhat problematic because he is SUCH a bad@ss. I don't really want to take my attention off of him to look through a camera. He alternates between trying to jump at me open mouthed and trying to run under the nearest heavy furniture when I open the cage door. I could get someone else to take the shots while I do the wrangling, but then I don't get the pics I really want.

At some point I need to do a proper photo shoot with him, but it's going to have to be in an empty room with lots of space to work in.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:06 PM   #103
snakekid13
!

You guys should be very proud you saved that mambas life! It looks great now im totally against venamoiders it is the most wrong thing i can think of! I hate people that have them just too look "cool". Tanith do people just send you their messed up mambas for free and you fix them up if so thats great I hope i can see your king sometime i bet that would be pretty hard to get a decent pic of him do to their stealthyness. I just love elapids!

Old 05-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #104
Mustangrde1
When you do there will be a lot of drooling a tears in the hot keeping world that is one awesome animal.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #105
snakekid13
I agree Tanith do you deal with any black mambas. I also had a question could you breed a green mamba with a black mamba i was wondering if it would work but i thought that it seems like the greens are pretty arboreal and the blacks are more terrestrial what do you guys think of this is it possible are my facts correct just what it seems of many hours of watching the discovery channel lol.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #106
Mustangrde1
With all the whacked out morphs on the market now adays I have come to the conclusion anythings possible lol. But why would you want to breed them together. No way I would want a Black X Green. If i wanted an arboreal monster with speed agility and super hot toxin ill get a Pseudohaje goldii

Old 05-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #107
snakegetters
When a batch of badly messed up venomous snakes comes in, sometimes an importer will be kind enough to phone me and let me know that I should come and do what I can to save them. At that point I go visit the vet clinic, get the prescription drugs necessary for the situation, and head down to the importer's. The vet "sees" the patients initially via digital photo transmission and I do the actual administration of what he prescribes. This way I can legally hand out pain relief medication to animals that badly need some.

I am not a veterinarian, though I do hold some certificates and licensing, and I take about 100 CE hours in reptile medicine yearly. I am operating legally under the direct supervision of a veterinarian. But since I cannot charge for practicing veterinary medicine, I ask that the importers give me the worst off patients that need intensive daily care. Since these are animals that would not survive without intensive veterinary care anyhow, importers don't mind handing them over.

If I'm doing such a massive @$$load of patients that the drug bill gets really ridiculous, I ask the importer to pay for the medicines. Otherwise money does not change hands to avoid legal complications.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #108
snakegetters
I have actually considered attempting to crossbreed blacks and greens. I expect they would be cross fertile, but my concern would be that they might kill one another rather than mating - wrong behavioral signals. So I may attempt a closely controlled introduction at some point, but I would be very hesitant to leave them together unsupervised.

I'll keep folks updated if it ever does happen.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #109
snakekid13
It was just something i thought of when i was looking at a reticxburm and it came to mind i'd like to see it happen i think it would look nice. But Mustang is right lol it would definately be an arboreal monster! I kinda like the rhino X gaboons too. Wow tanith your vet bills must be very expensive but you should be very proud. Just wondering Tanith what do you do for a living does it have to do with herps i'd like to specialize in a job with herps but honestly i'd rather be a big time breeder then a herpatologist. Thanks and happy herping!

Old 05-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #110
CFoley
My views of venomous keeping MINORS, PLEASE READ.

I am attempting to bring the subject back a few pages, sorry if I repost, or fall off, I did not read ALL 22 pages...

None of the follow do I recommend, I am just showing my venomous steps to help guide people in the right direction...

I am currently 17, becomming legal this monday the 17th.

I have kept venomous as a minor for about 4 years or so.

I started when I was approx. 14 years of age, with a pair of copperheads that I kept in an aquarium with books on it. I then moved to a pair of T. albolabris, kept pretty much the same way. In my defense, I killed none of these animals, I did my research, I was just ignorant of proper caging. I then went from various vipers, pit vipers, so on and so on. Yeah, now you can yell, scream, threaten my life....If I was you id be on the way to my house now with a shot gun.

Anyway, I learned of proper caging approx. a year after I began keeping. I aquired a pair of timber rattlers and a decent pair of vision cages too. They thrived and bred for me giving me 7 babies. From here I hadnt learned my lesson, and I shipped them through Airborne. YUP KILL ME AGAIN. I deserve it.

Gulp....when I was somewhere in my 16th year, I aquired my first Naja, it was Naja naja (spectacled), he did quite well. I kept him for a year or two, and traded him for an EA green mamba (gulp again). The stories go on and on and on....

Anyway, to this date, I currently own 1.2 Naja kaouthia ( 1.1 albino 0.1 het), 1.1 Naja pallida, 1.0 Naja naja (indian), and recently lost an imported forest cobra.

Once again in my defense: I have become an extremist when it comes to safe keeping. I NEVER have and never well handle any venomous snake. I even rarely hook a snake, I tail and hook only to inspect. I own bags, tongs and hooks. I stand by dividers and trap boxes.

Do I premote such a story as the above? NOT AT ALL. I very well could have added the the hobby declining as it is currently approaching, and in these next few days I could....I am not saying anyone have to or even should agree with my current placement. I have only had one close call as far as being bitten, in which I take the blame for, I pushed my limits and never will again. Me being bitten could potentially ruin my life, the hobby, and my bank account. All things riding against me, Im still here. I do not recommend such a thing to anyone for the laws and the money involved.

If it werent for laws, Id base venomous keeping on knowledge and maturity. Not to boast or brag, but I would place myself higher than many many many adults. Anyone can be quite irresponsible when ignorance lack of common sense, or ego arrises.

I stress too all of you minor keepers reading this. Please, do yourself and the hobby a favor and wait until you are legal. I regret my wrong doings, and I am very close to legal and will continue my safe keepings right through then. From what I see, Snakekid, the originator this thread has his head in the right place. He is willing to wait, and it is a wise decision.

I could talk about this all day, and ive already rambled too much about it as is, but remember, one slip up could take your life, your money, and your future. If you live through a bite or any other complication, you could ruin your chances of ever keeping hots again. You have your entire life to work with hots, with the wrong moves you may only have an entire few hours.

Any questions feel free to contact me, or continue it on the thread, I feel that Ive come around well and would be glad to assist anyone feeling that they could be approaching my position, or anyone in general looking to get into hots.

Sorry for the overlong post.

Chris Foley

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!