Spreading of mites. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 01:32 AM   #1
SoCalHerp
Spreading of mites.

I am taking in a pair of Colombian red-tails from a friend. He has told me that they have mites, but are being treated and are almost done. Is it ok to keep the boas in the same room, or do I need to keep them very far away until they are completely clean? I would keep them in different rooms, but I keep all my reptiles in a green house I built in my backyard, because the rest of my family doesn't apprechiate reptiles much.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
aliceinwl
Leopard geckos are sensitive to many of the chemicals used to treat mites. So if you're using any type of aerosol that isn't safe for lizards (I recall reading that geckos are more sensitive, than most lizards), I'd keep them separate. You'd also have to take precautions to make sure that the mites don't spread. Either ring the top of the snakes cages with vasaline so the mites can't exit or put the snakes on some kind of table and put the table legs in water with a little bit of dish soap to break the surface tension.
-Alice

Old 12-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Gregg M
Leos do not harbor mites as easy as snakes do...... They will however feed on the leos but it is not usual to see a mite infestation on leos...... Reason being is that leos do not have overlapping scales...... Mites do not like to be out in the open...... I would keep those snake far away until the mites are gone..... Mites are easy enough to get rid of so it should only take a few days...... Give the snakes a bath in water and mineral oil for a few hours..... This should kill all the adults and most of the eggs....... Do this for a couple of days...... It should be enough to clean the snakes up totaly..... I feel the oil and water bath is better than any other mite treatment...... Mites have what are called book lungs..... They are basicly holes in the mite that allows them to get oxygen...... The oil gets on the mite and covers up the book lungs, restricting the mites oxygen intake...... It does not take long before the mite is dead...... Also the eggs need oxygen in order to be viable...... Do not wipe the oil off of your snake after the baths.....

Old 12-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
SoCalHerp
Thank you for the answers. I'm probably going to have them in a different room for a while any way now, because the only available socket in my reptile room doesn't work. I need to have it fixed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!