egg identification - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Tang
egg identification

this is a question for the breeders of large numbers of geckos that keep many clutches in one container in the incubator. if two or more babies hatch on any given day, how do u know which egg and therefore which parent the hatchling belongs to?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
The way I do it is like this. Each female gets her own peice of tuperware for the season. Her eggs and only her egs will go into that container. There is no chance for a mix up this way.

In the male incubator I do it a little differently. I have several containers. I rotate through them. The first eggs to be incubated for male go into a container. The next set go into a new container. I do not put eggs into a previously used container for at least 2 weeks. This leaves no chance for different clutches hatching on the same day. All clutches in a container are at least 2 weeks apart. I use much smaller containers for the males because using this method I usually only have 4 eggs in a container at any given time.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I mark the date and a letter for the female they came from and only put eggs from a specific group in each conatiner. Like my LVPA 1.2 the eggs are int he same conatiner but they are marked and were laid on different days. If they did happen to hatch the same day from 2 females of that group Id be at odds too.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
KelliH
I incubate each clutch in a seperate container (deli cup) so that there is no chance I will get them mixed up.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Milwaukee Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I incubate each clutch in a seperate container (deli cup) so that there is no chance I will get them mixed up.
Me too. Lids are marked with the lay date and parent IDs for record keeping purposes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!