Barn Owl screaming (video I took today) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
snowgyre
Barn Owl screaming (video I took today)

If you've never heard a barn owl scream you need to check out the video I took today. I work very closely with the Important Bird Areas Coordinator for the state of Georgia (a National Audubon Society program), and last year he and I set up a couple of barn owl boxes at our local landfill. The landfill managers contacted us after the owls nested in a bad place and lost all their chicks in an unfortunate accident last year.

Today we decided to check the boxes. Our monitoring volunteers told us that there were two owls at the landfill, even though the female lost her mate last year (found long dead in one of the boxes). We checked out one of the boxes and viola, a female barn owl incubating two eggs! We captured, banded, and released her. We're hoping to do the same for the chicks when they hatch, although that's tricky to get the timing right due to staggered fledging dates.

Here's the video of the VERY loud barn owl as we're carrying her off to let the managers see what they worked so hard to save!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTu0a...O5sDm_i14ndwM=

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
catherine carney
WOW! Great video and had no idea that barn owls sounded like THAT! Nearly jumped out of my skin when the sound came on1

Am I correct in assuming your monitoring efforts are part of a barn owl recovery program? Hope they fledge their chicks successfully!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
snowgyre
Yep! We're setting up boxes across the state, doing a similar project that was started with bluebirds and wood ducks long ago. Essentially, out farmland is changing... what was once lots of small farms with weedy corners and dilapidated housing has turned into larger monocultural fields with very few weeds for barn owl prey to live in. We're hoping that by encouraging folks to put up boxes that we'll get barn owls established again.

We didn't know she had eggs until we actually grabbed her, otherwise we wouldn't have tried to capture her while she was incubating. We decided that we had already disturbed her, and banding her probably wouldn't make things any worse if she decided the disturbance was enough to abandon the nest. We don't think she'll abandon though, these owls live at the dump for Pete's sake, they're very used to human activity. And, due to the reports we received, we believed the male was inhabiting the box. Indeed, we didn't even know for sure a female had arrived as we found the prior female deceased several months ago. It was a pleasant surprise all around! This is the first time we've had breeding barn owls in our area in years.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
catherine carney
I knew that barn owl numbers had taken a hit in Ohio due to monoculture, and manage my own small farm to provide the small meadows/hedgerows/weedy edges that support barn owls and other things. Folks down the road had barn owls until their old barn burned down and they put up a modern pole barn, but I've never had them here, even with an older barn of my own. Plenty of barred and screech owls, though. I'll have to see if I can find box plans and get some barn owl boxes up.

Keep us all posted on how the 2012 nesting season goes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!